Thames awards Siemens meter data software deal
Thames Water has agreed a contract with Siemens for an industry-specific software package to store and manage readings from all its customer meters.
The utility went out to tender for a new Meter Data Management System (MDMS), including software licences and licence maintenance, which will act a central hub for data from the water company’s entire metering base (AMI, AMR & Manual). At the time of the procurement Thames said it would consider both cloud-based and on-premise software products.
The new system is required to support Thames Water’s ambitious Smart Metering programme, launched in 2015, which will see the rollout of 1,000,000 Smart AMI Meters by the end of 2020, with the long-term objective that all customers should be equipped with smart meters.
The water company said out the outset that it intended to procure all products and services from a single supplier. The implementation and integration of the future system with Thames Water back-end systems was not covered under the contract.
Siemens was one of three companies in the bidding for the work. No information has been disclosed on the value of the work under the contract.
- Skanska-led consortium gets £680K for efficient project delivery scheme Innovate UK has awarded £680,000 to a Skanska-led consortium to collate and visualise infrastructure and community data,... Read More >
- Welsh Water invests £9M in innovation projects Dwr Cymru Welsh Water has invested almost £9M in innovation projects over the past 12 months to help improve services for... Read More >
- Water charging abolished in Ireland after parliamentary vote Water services in Ireland will be funded by general taxation after the Dail, Ireland's parliament, accepted a... Read More >
- Comment: The Rise of the Digital Engineer As data gathering and analytics tools proliferate across water companies' operations, systems integration -... Read More >
- Top Tips for... cyber security The threat of Cybercrime to the water industry, just as with all other major sectors within the UK economy, is increasing... Read More >
- Comment: The vast potential of machine learning and data Recent efforts to use machine learning to predict bursts and leakage illustrate how the collaborative use of data could... Read More >
- Comment: Networks make the world go round Real-time, 'smart' water networks have been discussed for a decade without fully taking shape, but the barriers to... Read More >
- Top tips for... analyser maintenance Keeping continuous water analysers well maintained is vital to ensure you can rely on the information they provide, writes... Read More >
- Head of Tendering & Design Salary Range: Commensurate with roleThe Tendering & Design Department plays a critical role in turning customer enquiries in to fully costed... Read more here.
- Head of Operations Salary Range: Commensurate with role Head of Operations: The Head of Operations will be responsible for the successful day to day delivery... Read more here.
- Waste Water Network Manager c. £42,000 depending on skills and experience An exciting opportunity has arisen for the role of Wastewater Network Manager within the Asset... Read more here.
- Deputy Directors – multiple roles The Office of Rail and Road (ORR) is the independent economic and safety regulator for Britain’s railways, overseeing an industry that carried... Read more here.