SWW's Mayflower WTW hosts fire training exercise
South West Water's (SWW) Mayflower water treatment works construction site at Roborough, just outside Plymouth, has been the scene of a dramatic rescue during a fire service training exercise.
The site gave crews from Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service the perfect venue to put their training into practice. In the scenario, firefighters used specialist equipment to rescue two casualties (manikins) from the base of a concrete structure.
SWW project manager Mike Court said: “Construction sites of this nature are few and far between so we were delighted to be able to offer Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service the opportunity to use our site for these training exercises. It was absolutely fascinating seeing the firefighters in action.”
Steve Hill, station manager from Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service, explained: “The purpose of the training is to enable the crews from several fire stations to work together as a team training in an unfamiliar environment. They will be integrating their skills, knowledge and equipment to overcome different or unusual challenges, as well as gaining a familiarity with the South West Water site. The scenario is also an ideal opportunity to develop firefighters with less experience.
South West Water is building the new £60M state-of-the-art Mayflower WTW to serve Plymouth and the surrounding area. It will replace the outdated treatment works at Crownhill in Plymouth, which was built in the 1950s and is reaching the end of its useful life.
Work started on site in April 2016 and Mayflower is on schedule to become operational in September 2018, with the existing Crownhill works retiring from service a few months later. Around 150 people will be employed during construction. The project is South West Water’s biggest single capital investment in its highly-rated 2015-20 business plan.
- Three JVs selected to build £4.2bn Thames 'super sewer' Three joint ventures - BMB, FLO and CVB - are the preferred tenders to build the £4.2bn Thames Tideway Tunnel. The... Read More >
- ESG awarded £25M UU framework Testing, inspection and compliance services provider ESG has been awarded a £25M, seven-year framework to carry out a wide... Read More >
- Balfour Beatty wins a brace of coastal defence deals International infrastructure group Balfour Beatty has won two coastal defence contracts totalling £73M for Blackpool... Read More >
- Reliability engineering key to resilience As a result of the 2014 Water Act and Ofwat, water companies are increasingly studying how resilient they might be to... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... site security The current threat level for international terrorism in the UK is classed as ‘severe', and damage or destruction to... Read More >
- Tanks need a spot of TLC Proper maintenance of tanks is key to ensure their long and productive life, while refurbishment can give a new lease of... Read More >
- Fundamental Equations Alec Erskine explores how some key equations can assist with the business of asset management in water Read More >
- Yorkshire Water's decision-making uses ‘five capitals’ approach Yorkshire Water has developed a new decision-making framework for PR19 which quantifies natural and social factors Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.