SWW admits discharge breaches at Dunkeswell treatment works
South West Water (SWW) has appeared before Exeter Crown Court for allowing sewage to escape from its Dunkeswell treatment plant in 2013. The case was brought by the Environment Agency (EA), which said sewage sludge had escaped from the site 13 times in one year.
The court heard that growth in population as well as the failure of a screening device had led to a build-up of sludge, which had to be cleared by repeat visits from SWW.
Prosecuting for the EA, Judith Constable said the site, near Honiton, had been "teetering on failure" and that the case was "borderline between negligence and recklessness". She said the plant had been identified as being in need of improvement back in 2007, and by 2013 was due for investment as part of SWW's Glidepath Programme.
South West Water said there were five instances of breaching discharge limits, and Martin Meeke QC, defending, said investment to improve the Dunkeswell facility had been carried out including nearly £60,000 on a system to control discharges.
The case was adjourned until July in order for Judge Phillip Wassall to examine documents.
- Southern Water plans FOG removal process plant at Woolston Southern Water is planning to build a Fat, Oil and Grease (FOG) and Grit Removal process plant at its Woolston Wastewater... Read More >
- United Utilities fined £666K for polluting river with raw sewage United Utilities (UU) has been ordered to pay a fine of £666,000 after pleading guilty to polluting a river with untreated... Read More >
- UU's Davyhulme treatment works celebrates centenary Scientists from around the world are arriving in Manchester as United Utilities (UU) marks the centenary of sewage... Read More >
- Top Tips for... System Totex With Ofwat's AMP6 reforms putting Totex at the centre of the investment planning process, applying this approach at inlet... Read More >
- Gasification of Sludge: Innovation in Action Yorkshire Water's advanced thermal conversion (ATC) gasification plant at Lower Brighouse WWTW has achieved a timely... Read More >
- The Next Generation of Sludge Dewatering The established equipment for dewatering sludge all comes with various pros and cons, but technology is now evolving for the... Read More >
- Nutrient imbalance in wastewater Keeping carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus in the right ratio can be a challenge at wastewater plants, but help is at hand Read More >
- Mayflower Treatment Works: Setting Sail for New Waters South West Water's new £60M Mayflower Water Treatment Works in Plymouth is pioneering a treatment process which will take... Read More >
- Head of Tendering & Design Salary Range: Commensurate with roleThe Tendering & Design Department plays a critical role in turning customer enquiries in to fully costed... Read more here.
- Head of Operations Salary Range: Commensurate with role Head of Operations: The Head of Operations will be responsible for the successful day to day delivery... Read more here.
- Waste Water Network Manager c. £42,000 depending on skills and experience An exciting opportunity has arisen for the role of Wastewater Network Manager within the Asset... Read more here.
- Deputy Directors – multiple roles The Office of Rail and Road (ORR) is the independent economic and safety regulator for Britain’s railways, overseeing an industry that carried... Read more here.