Sweco appointed for ammonia removal scheme at Knostrop WwTW
Black & Veatch has appointed engineering, environmental and design consultancy Sweco to design, commission and guarantee the DEMON (de-ammonification) process at a state-of-the-art sludge treatment facility on Yorkshire Water's Knostrop sewage treatment works, on the outskirts of Leeds.
The project will be the largest overall capacity DEMON project in the UK.
The Yorkshire Water facility is undergoing a multimillion-pound revamp, led by Black & Veatch, to make the treatment of sludge on the site more efficient and effective.
Design has already commenced and will be completed by April 2017, with the installation by Black & Veatch expected to be finished in March 2018. Process commissioning of the plant, which will also be co-ordinated by Sweco, is expected to commence in February 2018, before handover of the plant to Yorkshire Water in November 2018.
Philip Wiltshire, technical director at Sweco, said: “This DEMON project is an exciting one for the UK, as it will be the largest DEMON facility in the UK/Europe and the first twin stream design. The need for systems such as DEMON is increasing, particularly for UK wastewater treatment plants installing thermal hydrolysis plants that generate high strength liquors, and we expect the technology to be implemented more widely in the near future, due to both its short and long-term cost and energy efficiency benefits compared to conventional treatment approaches.”
He said the technology will provide Yorkshire Water with the option to make further energy savings through the implementation of Mainstream DEMON in the coming years. Mainstream DEMON (also known as ‘cold anammox’) can offer energy savings of between 25 and 30% in activated sludge plant aeration systems, as well as improving the quality of effluent.
The DEMON process, once implemented at Knostrop, will guarantee the removal of 85% ammonia from liquors generated by the new sludge dewatering plant at the facility without any pH correction or carbon dosing. At maximum capacity, the plant will remove 3,150kg of ammonia per day.
Sweco is the exclusive UK licensee for the DEMON process.
- Scottish Water completes new wastewater treatment works at Kingussie Scottish Water has opened a new wastewater treatment works (WWTW) at Kingussie in the Highlands, following the completion... Read More >
- Amey wins £113M wastewater R + M deal at Yorkshire Water Services provider Amey has been selected to carry out Yorkshire Water's wastewater network repair and maintenance work.... Read More >
- Customers urged to hunt for private pumping stations this Easter As well as hunting for chocolate eggs this Easter, Yorkshire Water is calling on customers to also help hunt for hundreds... Read More >
- Project Focus: Trenchless sewer rehab at Wessex Water Trenchless techniques are being used by Wessex Water and its contractors for both large scale operations and small... Read More >
- Getting out of a hole No matter the scale of operations, Wessex Water's preferred method for dealing with sewer problems is through trenchless... Read More >
- Project Focus: Cheltenham gets £5M sewer facelift Severn Trent's renewal of the sewers in the historic Gloucestershire town involved 15 individual projects to tackle sewer... Read More >
- Industry Leader: Mark Lane, Chairman, British Water "You can live in a world without gold, diamonds and oil, but you cannot live without water." Mark Lane,... Read More >
- Kobus pulls the cables for Yorkshire Water WTW upgrade Upsizing a PE gas main to a 90mm PE supply for Yorkshire Water's Sandall Sewage Treatment Works upgrade should have been... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.