Student farmers take up gauntlet to improve farm water management
Agricultural students from three colleges across the North-west are to review farming practices to help improve water quality as they take part in The Great Farm Challenge 2017, a joint partnership between Natural England, Environment Agency and United Utilities (UU).
Students from three of the region’s top agricultural colleges - Reaseheath, Mysercough and Newton Rigg - will attend interactive learning sessions before going on a farm walk. The next generation of farmers will be tasked with writing a report on the issues and changes needed to improve water management on the farms they visited.
Judges from the partner organisations will mark the reports and the best from each college will be invited to a Grand Final event, which will be held in the last week of March at the NFU headquarters at Skelmersdale.
Andy Wagstaff, from Natural England, said: “The aim is to improve the students understanding of the impact of agriculture on water sources. Focusing on minimising run off from pesticides, nutrients and suspended solids whilst also looking at ways of using water wisely on the farm.
“The key thing about The Great Farm Challenge is to talk to the farmers of the future and get them thinking about how farming practices impact the environment. It is also important to get over the fact we can have good profitable farming, while safeguarding the environment.”
Clare Bullen, UU strategy development manager, said: “We’re delighted to be involved in this challenge as it is a great way to influence the next generation of farmers about helping us help the environment and their farm business. By creating the awareness of good water quality practices we will hopefully avoid problems in the future which could impact the environment, the farm business and the cost of water treatment which can then impact the bill paying customer.”
- Welsh Water causes a stir in reservoir to improve raw water quality Dŵr Cymru Welsh Water has installed a new water management system into the Pontsticill reservoir to improve the... Read More >
- United Utilities pleads guilty in crypto trial United Utilities has pleaded guilty to providing water that was unfit for human consumption. The charge was brought by the... Read More >
- EPS awarded Welsh MEICA contract Irish support services group EPS has been appointed to one of Dwr Cymru Welsh Water's (DCWW) largest MEICA (mechanical,... Read More >
- Comment: Moving sensors from the lab to the real world Innovative sensor technologies of various materials are out there - the key now is to apply them effectively and to make... Read More >
- Corrosion of water pipes: out of sight, out of mind? Pipe corrosion is a major cause of water quality complaints by customers, but how often is the water itself responsible... Read More >
- Top tips for... analyser maintenance Keeping continuous water analysers well maintained is vital to ensure you can rely on the information they provide, writes... Read More >
- Data: Predictive analysis pays off for Welsh Water Data scientists at Welsh Water built an analysis tool that can predict when service reservoirs are at risk of bacterial... Read More >
- Project Focus: Affinity Water in metaldehyde detection trial A trial at an Affinity Water treatment works in Hertfordshire has demonstrated the effectiveness of modifying lab... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.