Southern Water uses racing car technology for network modelling
Southern Water has teamed with engineering experts at consultancy Ricardo to apply the computer simulation techniques that Ricardo's team uses to optimise high performance cars to improving the resilience of the water distribution network.
Engineers from both companies have been cooperating to use Ricardo's IGNITE computer aided engineering software which normally measures flows of liquid, air and hot exhaust gases in racing cars and other vehicles to help optimise parts of the Southern Water network.
“At first sight, the challenges of strategic planning of water supplies might appear very different to those of designing a state-of-the-art car, truck or bus,” says Rachel Ashmole, project director at Ricardo. “The automotive industry makes intensive use of simulation software to optimize the many fluid-based processes in both the combustion and coolant systems of modern vehicles and we can adapt our software to help us develop advanced control systems for water networks.”
Drew Brown, Southern Water's project manager added: “The applications might be different and distances, speeds and pressures very different but the physics is the same. We're delighted with how this collaboration is working.”
With the IGNITE suite adapted, the next phase in the project will be to model the whole of the Brighton water distribution system - while at the same time building up a library of standard simulated components such as reservoirs, pumping stations and boreholes which will speed the project as it is rolled out across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, Sussex and Kent.
Learn more by listening to the Southern Water 'Water Watch' Innovation podcast found at: http://waterwatch.podbean.com/ which is also downloadable from iTunes.
- Grundfos and Novozymes collaborate to solve global water challenges Enzymes and micro-organisms specialist Novozymes and pump technologies group Grundfos are collaborating to find new... Read More >
- Southern Water launches initiative to improve bathing water quality An initiative to boost Bexhill's bathing water quality has been launched by Southern Water. The company has joined forces... Read More >
- Innovation key for Scotland's ‘Hydro Nation’ vision Customer service and innovation in water technology will be two central planks of Scotland's future as a ‘Hydro Nation’,... Read More >
- Problem solving upfront: embracing digital technology Scottish Water is the latest water utility to make advances in digital engineering through the use of BIM technology,... Read More >
- Sustainable success: RainScape and Greener Grangetown Welsh Water and its project partners soaked up the acclaim at the Water Industry Awards as the SuDS-focused RainScape and... Read More >
- Treating the Blues: Low-cost, sustainable nitrate treatment Advances in biotechnology now mean that low-cost, sustainable nitrate treatment for drinking water and wastewater is... Read More >
- Comment: Problem solving upfront - embracing digital tech Atkins water director Richard Whale explains how the company is taking big strides forward in automated design and the... Read More >
- Smartening up: Is UK water metering ready for a smart revolution? Smart metering shows signs it can bring significant improvements on water consumption, leakage and more. But what will it... Read More >