South West Water to start £6M WTW project
South West Water is beginning work this month on a £6M project to upgrade Tottiford Water Treatment Works in South Devon.
The utility will install six new granular activated carbon filters, a new pumping station and a state-of-the-art ultraviolet disinfection system at the works, which serve around 70,000 customers with drinking water around Bovey Tracey and Torquay.
Granular activated carbon (GAC) is a specially engineered porous material with a large internal surface area - just one teaspoon has the same surface area as a football pitch. Due to its large surface area and special surface chemistry it can remove natural and manmade organic matter sometimes present in Fernworthy, Kennick, Trenchford and Tottiford reservoirs, which supply the Tottiford works.
Meanwhile, ultraviolet (UV) disinfection uses UV light to destroy harmful bacteria and viruses sometimes found in the untreated reservoir water.
Chris Rockey, Head of Drinking Water Quality, said: "We already have some of the best tap water in the country but this major investment in additional treatment will deliver even better drinking water to our customers in South Devon."
Water that has passed through the GAC and UV treatment process will start being introduced into supply from March 2018. In total, the works produce around 26 megalitres of water a day.
Rockey added: "In the very short term, some consumers may notice a slight change in the smell or taste of their tap water. To minimise this and hopefully avoid it completely, we will bring the new filters on line one at a time and blend the new and improved water with the water currently produced by the works to ensure a smooth transition."
This approach was previously undertaken successfully at Restormel and Wendron water treatment works in Cornwall in 2014.
- EC goes out to consultation over optimising water reuse The European Commission (EC) has launched a new consultation on policy options to optimise water reuse, which is not... Read More >
- UU lifts boil water notice further Half of the 300,000 customers affected by the boil water notice restrictions in Lancashire due to traces of the... Read More >
- Chemviron Carbon opens new plant in Midlands Chemviron Carbon, the European operating group of Calgon Carbon Corporation, has opened a new carbon reactivation plant in... Read More >
- Grit removal: the importance of protecting downstream equipment The water industry needs to wake up to the costly damage that wastewater grit can cause and take action to ensure that key... Read More >
- New Sludge Conference to be part of Wastewater 2018 The UK's largest wastewater event - Wastewater 2018, organised by WWT - is set to return to Birmingham on 30th January and... Read More >
- SMART-Plant points way to circular economy European wastewater experts have worked together to open seven pilot plants which demonstrate technologies which could... Read More >
- Odour control: Going Undercover Thames Water is using a combination of covers, air filtering technology and monitoring in order to ensure it meets... Read More >
- Biological odour control in wastewater treatment plants When odour issues threaten to impact on the operations and reputation of wastewater utilities, bacterial treatments can hold... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.