South Staffs Water funds local biodiversity projects
South Staffs Water has marked World Wildlife Day today (March 3), by announcing that it has awarded grants to six local biodiversity initiatives.
Projects that Explore Biodiversity Benefits in the Local Environment (PEBBLE) was launched by the water company to provide funding to organisations keen to encourage and enhance biodiversity within the South Staffs Water area of supply. It has now confirmed, six grants worth a total of £7,700.
Applications were received from a variety of organisations – demonstrating a strong desire to help protect and enhance the local environment for the benefit of wildlife.
Successful applications range from creating a wildlife walk, and clearing scrubland to supporting a school keen to raise awareness of the environment and local wildlife among pupils.
South Staffs Water will be naming each of the projects over the coming months as they begin to invest in the new initiatives.
Dan Clark, Water Resources and Environment Manager for South Staffs Water, said: “We were overwhelmed at the amazing response from local projects which the PEBBLE Fund generated.
“At South Staffs Water we recognise the importance of the local environment, and the part we play in the conservation and enhancement of biodiversity.
“Increasing the variety of natural living things and the diversity of the habitats where they live not only benefits wildlife, it can also enhance local communities and our open spaces.”
“We are really looking forward to exploring each of these projects in more detail as they work to improve, restore or create new habitats.”
The next round of funding for PEBBLE applications will open in late spring.
- Anglian Water issues £250M Green Bond to finance sustainability strategy Anglian Water has issued the first ever utility sector Sterling (GBP) Green Bond. The £250M Green Bond will be used to... Read More >
- Severn Trent sets out WFD recommendations Severn Trent Water has announced three recommendations on how it believes the Water Framework Directive (WFD) should be... Read More >
- NI Water pumps £440M into local economy each year Northern Ireland Water adds around £440M a year to the local economy, according to analysis by Ulster University Business... Read More >
- Rainwater spin-out companies offer innovative path Researchers from the University of Exeter's Centre for Water Systems are putting the latest rainwater harvesting and SuDS... Read More >
- Comment: Preparing for extreme weather events The challenge of climate change resilience means that the conventional deterministic approach to drought planning is no... Read More >
- Interview: Jean Spencer, Anglian Water director, on drought resilience In this WWT profile interview Jean Spencer, Director of Strategic Growth and Resilience at Anglian Water, talks about the... Read More >
- The universal challenge of water Water utilities across the world face many similar challenges despite their varying locations and economic conditions,... Read More >
- Front Line: Luke Petts, Metering Team Leader, Morrison Utility Services In this month's Front Line feature we meet Luke Petts, who leads the team of meter installers on Thames Water's Smart... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.