SHE apprenticeship scheme backed by Thames Water
Thames Water has thrown its weight behind a pioneering new apprenticeship scheme targeting safety, health and the environment (SHE).
Support for the scheme, recently granted by the Minister of State for Apprenticeships and Skills, follows a push for a formal apprenticeship at the recent London health and safety directors’ forum, where senior health and safety executives, including Thames Water’s Karl Simons, aim to drive standards and tackle challenges across the industry.
Karl Simons, Thames Water’s head of health, safety, security and wellbeing and chair of the London health and safety directors’ forum, said: “There was a groundswell of recognition that, with the growth of our profession throughout the UK, we have an opportunity to support the world of work through the development and implementation of a formal health and safety apprenticeship programme.”
He continued: “I’m delighted with the work undertaken this past year led by a group of dedicated health and safety professionals and am looking forward to welcoming the first apprentice to the scheme.”
The minister’s approval, makes this the first ever SHE apprenticeship scheme formally recognised by government.
- London Assembly calls for Thames Water drainage network assessment The London Assembly's environment committee wants Thames Water to provide an assessment of its drainage network's ability... Read More >
- Thames Water fined a record-breaking £1M for sewage pollution Thames Water has been fined £1M by St Albans Crown Court for polluting the Grand Union Canal in Hertfordshire with sewage.... Read More >
- Thames Water goes on the road for National Apprenticeship Week A team of Thames Water recruiters are hoping to meet the engineers of the future as they go on the road for a series of... Read More >
- Tanks need a spot of TLC Proper maintenance of tanks is key to ensure their long and productive life, while refurbishment can give a new lease of... Read More >
- Fundamental Equations Alec Erskine explores how some key equations can assist with the business of asset management in water Read More >
- Yorkshire Water's decision-making uses ‘five capitals’ approach Yorkshire Water has developed a new decision-making framework for PR19 which quantifies natural and social factors Read More >
- Dealing Direct: Direct Procurement in the Water Industry Direct procurement for large projects may add to the water industry's investor appeal, writes Guy Ledger Read More >
- Comment: A Totex Journey The move to outcomes and Totex-Based Regulation in AMP6 should mean water companies and contractors involving suppliers ... Read More >
- Head of Engineering Our members control and maintain the critical national infrastructure that delivers the gas and electricity services into our homes and... Read more here.
- Assistant gas to grid engineer GENeco is a multi-award winning recycling and renewable energy company. We were created by Wessex Water in 2008 to help our parent company... Read more here.
- Chief Executive Officer The Electricity Association of Ireland (EAI) is the representative body for electricity producers, retailers and distributors on the island... Read more here.