Severn Trent Water boss checks on progress of EVA scheme
Severn Trent Water chief executive officer Liv Garfield has been checking out the progress of the utility's Elan Valley Aqueduct (EVA) project, which is being carried out by Barhale and North Midland Construction joint venture BNM Alliance.
Garfield was joined on the Bleddfa site by Dennis Curran, chairman of Barhale and Robert Moyle, executive chairman for North Midland Construction, to view the progress of the tunnelling aspect of the EVA scheme, which is a key project within Severn Trent’s AMP6 programme of works.
After being welcomed by the project team, the group were taken through a presentation of progress on the scheme followed by a trip through the newly constructed tunnel to see the miners at work. The alliance has been working reaching 3m with approximately 110m of construction completed.
When finished, the newly constructed tunnel will reach 1.8km in length and will replace part of the existing aqueduct.
Stuart Proud, managing director of NMCNomenca, the delivery division for North Midland Construction, said: “The alliance team are working tirelessly to ensure that the local community are kept informed of the works, building positive relationships and communicating updates as work progresses. We’ve had incredibly positive feedback from residents on our presentations and we are keeping them informed every step of the way.”
The EVA is more than 73 miles long, and delivers 300 million-plus litres of water daily to Frankley Water Treatment Works on the outskirts of Birmingham. The proactive maintenance programme of works will take four years to complete.
- Thames Water goes out to tender with £900M infrastructure deal Thames Water is to hold an event in July to meet forward-thinking suppliers interested in tendering for its £900M AMP6... Read More >
- Welsh Water goes underground for Swansea flood risk project Work on Dwr Cymru Welsh Water's £1.3M project to reduce the risk of flooding within the St Helen's area of Swansea has... Read More >
- Alchin joins Imtech to develop links Engineering and construction management contractor Imtech Water, Waste and Energy has appointed Jeff Alchin as senior... Read More >
- National pride of top tappers Drilling and Tapping teams from America and the Netherlands are gearing up to take part in the World Water Cup in... Read More >
- Comment: A Totex Journey The move to outcomes and Totex-Based Regulation in AMP6 should mean water companies and contractors involving suppliers ... Read More >
- Valves and flow control: Pressure Points Building a smarter network need not be expensive - a first step is to establish a calm pressure profile, writes Craig... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... Ice Pigging An innovative method of cleaning pipes, ice pigging is now being seen as a viable option for wastewater as well as clean... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... Carbon Footprinting Working out the carbon footprint of a project such as a drainage installation involves a number of variables, with... Read More >
- Divisional Operations Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.
- Project Manager (Electrical & Instrumentation) SGN operates over 74,000km of gas mains and services in Scotland and the south of England. Whoever your supplier is, we have a responsibility... Read more here.