Severn Trent to use Veolia's Actiflo technology at Frankley WTW
Veolia Water Technologies has secured a contract with Severn Trent Water to design and implement three Actiflo AC10 Turbo high-performance water clarifiers at the Frankley water treatment works as part of the Birmingham Resilience scheme.
The water clarifiers will have the capacity to process 312 million litres of water a day.
Frankley’s current dissolved air flotation and rapid gravity filter plant treats water from the Elan Valley Aqueduct, a relatively clean, soft upland reservoir source designed in the Victorian era.
Now over a hundred years old, the aqueduct requires regular maintenance, during which Frankley is supplied with raw water from the River Severn.
As the existing dissolved air flotation technology is not suitable for the treatment of river water, Severn Trent examined alternative clarification solutions and, after a 10-month pilot study, has given the green light to Veolia’s Actiflo technology.
Veolia will install the water clarifiers in collaboration with contractors Doosan Enpure and North Midland Construction.
- Illegal sewer breaches costs Wolverhampton firm £55K Wolverhampton magistrates have fined Global Metal Finishers £55,000 for making illegal discharges into Severn Trent... Read More >
- Severn Trent CEO to retire next year Severn Trent CEO Tony Wray has informed the water utility's board that he will retire in spring 2014. Read More >
- UU keeps Lancashire boil water notice in place United Utilities (UU) is still advising customers in parts of Lancashire to boil their water as it works to eliminate a... Read More >
- Ross-shire Engineering: Aiming High With its latest modular water treatment plant having hit new heights in terms of scale and ambition, Ross-shire... Read More >
- Interview: Yorkshire Water procurement head Andy Clark Yorkshire Water's Andy Clark tells Robin Hackett why the company is making major changes to its procurement strategy Read More >
- Digital engineering for the totex environment Digitalisation of the design and construction process as well as the use of intelligent piping and instrumentation... Read More >
- Dewatering pump maintenance: Keep moving Maintaining your dewatering pumps goes a long way, writes Joe Moser, pump product manager, Atlas Copco Construction... Read More >
- New direction: Is the industry ready for direct procurement? Ofwat's continued aim to drive efficiency and value for customers will see the introduction of a new direct procurement... Read More >