Severn Trent to begin Attenborough sewer repair project
Severn Trent is about to begin work on a £1.1M scheme to help prevent sewer flooding in Attenborough, Nottingham.
The project, which gets underway next week (17 October), will use largely trenchless methods to repair the ageing sewer pipes in the area and enlarge capacity. Severn Trent’s contractors NMCNomenca will be carrying out the work, which is focused around Attenborough’s Riverdale Road and is expected to last 14 weeks.
Severn Trent’s programme manager, Ian Merrill explains why the work is required: “During periods of heavy rainfall our sewage pumping station on Attenborough Lane has struggled to cope and this has at times caused water to back up along the road to Crofton Road resulting in flooding in the local area.
“We’re going to be carrying out work to help stop this happening in the future, increasing the size of the sewers in Riverdale Road and the capacity of the sewage pumping station. We’ll also be taking the opportunity to carry out repairs on sections of the existing sewers in Attenborough Lane.”
The project has been planned to make sure road closures and disruption to local residents is kept to a minimum, added Merrill. Some of the work will take place at night at the request of Network Rail, to reduce the risk of traffic queueing at a level crossing on Attenborough Lane.
“Unfortunately we will need to close sections of Riverdale Road to install the new pipes,” he said. “We’ve chosen Riverdale Road because it is relatively free of existing pipes and cables and means extensive road diversions won’t be needed. We’d like to thank everyone in advance for their patience and understanding and apologise for the inconvenience this may cause, but we hope everyone understands how important it is and the massive benefits it will bring.”
- NI Water invests £2.6M on Downpatrick sewer improvements NI Water is to invest £2.6M on essential sewer improvement schemes in Downpatrick. Work will start next month, and is... Read More >
- Tideway Tunnel an 'attractive investment prospect' - government The government has flagged up the Thames Tunnel Tideway project as being open to foreign investment. The scheme is among... Read More >
- Thames Water and Swindon council consult over sewer flooding Thames Water is consulting with Swindon Borough Council on joint proposals to upgrade the sewerage network in and around... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... sewer jetting Jetting is an important tool for clearing sewer blockages, but care must be taken to use the right pressure for the pipe... Read More >
- Fats, oil and grease need clear thinking Latest research from Cranfield has shone a light on the characteristics of of fats, oil and grease (FOG) droplets entering... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... Ice Pigging An innovative method of cleaning pipes, ice pigging is now being seen as a viable option for wastewater as well as clean... Read More >
- Interview: Professor Dragan Savic, Exeter University "If you can't measure, you can't manage - and the most uncertain element of water management is the demand." Read More >
- Interview: Rachel Dyson, Programme Manager, Anglian Water “We have been quiet as an industry on wet wipes, but now we are being vocal, because of the problems they are causing.” Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.