Self-cleaning screen helps protect eels on River Wandle
SES Water has installed a new type of self-cleaning protective screen near Goat Bridge abstraction point on the River Wandle which will help safeguard European eel stocks which have declined enormously over the last 30 years.
The self-cleaning screen, developed in partnership with Mackley and Eliquo Hydrok, is approved by the Environment Agency as it provides essential protection for not only juvenile eels, but other fish species as well, due to its 2mm screen opening. The self-cleaning ‘air purge’ system keeps the screen clear of debris as water is abstracted at Goat Bridge, partially treated and pumped upstream to Carshalton Ponds to maintain important fish habitats in the upper reaches.
The drastic fall in European eel numbers prompted the European Commission to produce an Eel Recovery Plan which would boost declining eel stocks throughout Europe. The Environment Agency has been responsible for delivering the plan in England as well as ensuring it conforms with the Eels (England and Wales) Regulations 2009.
Civil Engineer at SES Water, Christopher Karunanithi said: “We need to abstract water from rivers all over our supply area but in doing so must minimise the effect of our activities on the local environment. This project has actually enhanced the river habitat for wildlife and in particular for fish and eel stocks which have seen a big decline over the last couple of decades. As a company we take our environmental responsibilities very seriously and will always go above and beyond our policy requirements whenever we can.”
The screen is a low maintenance solution and was completed on time and within budget thanks to collaborative working between several different organisations.
Senior Projects Officer at the South East Rivers Trust, Tim Longstaff, said: “It is great to see SES Water is taking eel conservation and the Eels Regulations seriously. Eel populations are in a critical condition and rivers like the Wandle offer important habitat for them. Anything that is done to preserve and improve their chances of survival should be applauded.”
- Water stress magnifies drought's negative impact in US The World Resources Institute (WRI) has published a new map of US water stress, pointing out that dried-out fields and... Read More >
- Southern Water plans aquifer storage and recovery pilot scheme Southern Water wants to pilot a new scheme in Worthing where drinking water is stored in a natural underground reservoir... Read More >
- Southern Water pilots tanks to alleviate groundwater flooding Southern Water is trialing ten mobile biological treatment tanks at seven locations in Kent and Hampshire as part of its... Read More >
- New Sludge Conference to be part of Wastewater 2018 The UK's largest wastewater event - Wastewater 2018, organised by WWT - is set to return to Birmingham on 30th January and... Read More >
- Comment: Moving sensors from the lab to the real world Innovative sensor technologies of various materials are out there - the key now is to apply them effectively and to make... Read More >
- Innovation: The New Rock and Roll? In this feature interview we talk to Nigel Watson, Group Information Services Director at Northumbrian Water, about the... Read More >
- Comment: Networks make the world go round Real-time, 'smart' water networks have been discussed for a decade without fully taking shape, but the barriers to... Read More >
- Ending the nightmare of wet-wipe pump blockages An ingenious device developed in partnership with Scottish Water promises to reduce wastewater pump maintenance by... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.