Procurement process starts for Thames tunnel's £800M East package
The procurement process for the £800M East package of work to construct London's 25km Thames Tideway Tunnel is now underway, with Thames Water announcing that invitations to tender have been sent out. Final bidders for the East package will be announced in May 2015.
The invitation to tender for the Central package, worth £600-950M, is expected in April; while the procurement process of the West package began in December.
Mike Gerrard, Thames Tideway Tunnel managing director, said: “The tender process is now well under way and we are confident that our process will ensure competitive bids that will result in the best value for our customers."
The shortlisted companies for the three main works packages are:
- East: Bam Nuttall, Balfour Beatty, Morgan Sindall; Bechtel and Strabag; Bouygues Travaux Publics; Costain, Vinci and Bachy; and Hochtief and Murphy
- Central: Bam Nuttall, Balfour Beatty and Morgan Sindall; Costain, Vinci and Bachy; Ferrovial Agroman and Laing O’Rourke; and Skanska, Bilfinger and Razel Bec
- West: Bam Nuttall, Balfour Beatty and Morgan Sindall: Costain, Vinci and Bachy; Dragados and Samsung; Ferrovial Agroman and Laing O’Rourke
The £2.3B Thames Tideway Tunnel is a major new sewer that will help tackle the problem of overflows from the capital’s Victorian sewers and will protect the tidal River Thames from increasing pollution for at least the next 100 years.
"We are building for 22nd Century London to create a cleaner, healthier River Thames. The Thames Tideway Tunnel is needed to tackle the tens of millions of tonnes of raw sewage which discharge into the tidal River Thames every year. The river needs cleaning up and it needs to be cleaned up now.”
The Development Consent Application is currently being considered by the Planning Inspectorate and, subject to consent being granted, construction on the project is due to start in 2016. It will involve 24 construction sites across London.
- Effects of microplastics in sewage sludge on soils 'overlooked' Researchers are concerned about the lack of knowledge regarding the potential consequences that microplastics may have on... Read More >
- Costain performing in line with expectations Engineering solutions provider Costain is continuing to perform well in line with the board's expectations, with "a... Read More >
- Anglian Water opts for Zickert at Pyewipe site Extensive refurbishment of ten sludge collection tanks has been carried out at Anglian Water's Pyewipe Water Recycling... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... sewer jetting Jetting is an important tool for clearing sewer blockages, but care must be taken to use the right pressure for the pipe... Read More >
- Fats, oil and grease need clear thinking Latest research from Cranfield has shone a light on the characteristics of of fats, oil and grease (FOG) droplets entering... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... Ice Pigging An innovative method of cleaning pipes, ice pigging is now being seen as a viable option for wastewater as well as clean... Read More >
- Interview: Professor Dragan Savic, Exeter University "If you can't measure, you can't manage - and the most uncertain element of water management is the demand." Read More >
- Interview: Rachel Dyson, Programme Manager, Anglian Water “We have been quiet as an industry on wet wipes, but now we are being vocal, because of the problems they are causing.” Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.