Peacehaven WwTW achieves compliance milestone
4Delivery, the consortium comprising Veolia Water, Costain, and MWH, with Southern Water on the Peacehaven Wastewater Treatment Works (WwTW) has achieved compliance in the EU's Urban Wastewater Treatment Directive (91/271/EEC) for the secondary treatment of wastewater for the Brighton & Hove catchment.
It is the final area of the UK to meet the EU water treatment directive.
Due to the size of the community in the catchment, the directive calls for the secondary treatment of wastewater before it is returned to the environment. The secondary treatment at Peacehaven involves biologically breaking down and reducing residual organic matter in the water.
Achieving compliance means the wastewater produced by residents of Peacehaven, Telscombe, Saltdean, Rottingdean and Brighton and Hove is now being treated to this higher standard.
The £300M environmental improvement scheme will bring cleaner seas to Sussex and includes a major new wastewater treatment works, two underground pumping stations, 11km of new sewer tunnels and a 2.5km long sea outfall. Around 95Ml of wastewater will be treated daily.
“We are delighted to have achieved compliance for the wastewater treatment at Peacehaven, which is a major milestone in delivering cleaner seas to the Sussex coast,” said 4D contracts manager, Graham Sugrue.
- Southern Water submits planning application for Woolston WwTW A planning application to redevelop Woolston Wastewater Treatment Works (WwTW) has been submitted by Southern Water to... Read More >
- FLI Water to upgrade Enniskerry WwTW Irish Water has awarded FLI Water a €900,000 upgrade project at Enniskerry wastewater treatment works (WwTW) for Irish... Read More >
- Royal HaskoningDHV and Imtech bring 'unique' Nereda to UK Imtech Process expects to build five to eight Nereda wastewater treatment installations in the coming years having signed... Read More >
- Drilling and Tapping: The Mains Man Jason Barratt's skill in drilling and tapping water mains has led to him competing around the world as well as advancing... Read More >
- A Time to Skill: how can water face its workforce challenges? Faced with the double challenge of an ageing workforce and a potential barrier to bringing in EU talent due to Brexit, how... Read More >
- Reliability engineering key to resilience As a result of the 2014 Water Act and Ofwat, water companies are increasingly studying how resilient they might be to... Read More >
- Comment: A dynamic response to change Market changes in the water industry mean that contractors must step up play a bigger and more responsible role in... Read More >
- Interview: Prof Rudi Klein, chief executive officer, SEC Group "The wait - that is the real problem," says Professor Rudi Klein on the subject of cash retentions in construction... Read More >
- Head of Tendering & Design Salary Range: Commensurate with roleThe Tendering & Design Department plays a critical role in turning customer enquiries in to fully costed... Read more here.
- Head of Operations Salary Range: Commensurate with role Head of Operations: The Head of Operations will be responsible for the successful day to day delivery... Read more here.
- Deputy Directors – multiple roles The Office of Rail and Road (ORR) is the independent economic and safety regulator for Britain’s railways, overseeing an industry that carried... Read more here.