Ofwat consults on WaSCs' bioresources assets value approach
A consultation on the approach for water and sewerage companies (WaSCs) to value their bioresources assets has been launched by Ofwat.
The consultation, which closes on March 31, 2017, will inform how the regulator allocates the legacy wastewater Regulatory Capital Value (RCV) at March 31, 2020 between the network plus and bioresources controls at PR19 and the information that is required from companies in September 2017.
In order to provide a level playing field for bioresources trading and processing and to protect customer interests, Ofwat said it is important that a robust and accurate valuation of sludge assets supports the proposed RCV allocation to bioresources. The proposed guidance in the consultation document sets out its view of the appropriate approach to asset valuation.
Ofwat currently has a single value for wastewater RCV that is the capital value of its wastewater assets, including bioresources assets, for regulatory purposes. It captures the capital invested in the business and forms part of our building block approach to price controls.
To allocate part of the wastewater RCV to the new bioresources price control, Ofwat will take a focused approach, where the allocation is based on the value of the assets used. A focused allocation means the RCV allocation is not driven by the historic discount to the RCV at privatisation (i.e. the difference between the value of the RCV and the value of the assets).
This is important as to the extent that the economic value of assets is over and above the RCV, it is rightly attributable to customers and their interests need to be protected. The remainder of the RCV after deducting the economic value of the sludge assets will be allocated to the wastewater network plus control.
Alongside this consultation, Ofwat has published a report that it had commissioned from Reckon LLP (with Jacobs) that it intends will be used by companies as they consider their valuation of sludge assets to inform their proposed RCV allocation. The report provides supporting guidance on the topics considered in the consultation.
- Welsh government to decide IDB future The Welsh government is to make a decision in the next month on the future of the Caldicot and Wentlooge Internal Drainage... Read More >
- Ofwat consults on new retail licences Ofwat has launched a new consultation on changes to water company retail licences which are proposed to pave the way for... Read More >
- Water companies object to stress-tests on their business plans Most of the water companies have objected to Ofwat's proposal to publish the results of stress-tests on their business... Read More >
- Comment: Sludge all set for reform The opening of the bioresources market presents water companies with an opportunity to do things differently, but what... Read More >
- Interview: Ben Jeffs, Chief Executive, MOSL “The whole industry has really mobilised around market opening, and the water companies deserve credit for that.” Read More >
- Close-Up: Who will be the big fish in the new water retail market? With a £2.5BN new market for non-domestic water retail to open in England in April, joint ventures, incumbents and new... Read More >
- Water Industry Procurement: could Brexit provide a fresh start? Could Brexit lead to a re-examination of the procurement rules which govern the water industry and other infrastructure... Read More >
- Industry View: Let's not drop the ball after PR19 There must be better alignment between PR19 strategic plans and actual delivery plans if water companies are to get full... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.