Northumbrian to invest £5.5M in three sewage works upgrades
Northumbrian Water is investing £5.5 million in upgrading three of its sewage treatment works in County Durham.
The work at Windlestone Sewage Treatment Works (STW), Chilton Lane STW and Bishop Middleham STW will increase the capacity of the company’s network to reflect the growth of the local population.
It will also ensure that the area’s sewage continues to be treated to the highest possible standards to protect the environment.
The work, which is being carried out by Northumbrian Water contract partner Interserve, is due to start on all three sites on Monday, March 20, with the upgrades likely to be completed by early 2018.
At Windlestone STW, off the A689 south of Chilton, £5M will be invested in the extension of the site to create an increase in capacity, alongside a general refurbishment of the existing facility. Bishop Middleham STW, off Foumarts Lane, and Chilton Lane STW, off Gipsy Lane, near Ferryhill Station, will receive general upgrades to ensure the continued high quality treatment of the area’s sewage.
Project Manager Charles Harman said: “As populations grow, so does the amount of sewage that requires treatment, so it is important that we continue to invest in our network to ensure we deliver the highest levels of service to our customers and that we have the capacity to continue doing this long into the future.
“Work will also involve taking measures to meet even tighter regulations on ammonia, improving the quality of local watercourses.
“All of the work on these projects will be contained on our sites, but we will be working to ensure local residents are aware of the nature of this investment and how it will support their community.”
- Northumbrian Water creates gas from sewage for the national grid Northumbrian Water is now creating gas from sewage treatment for the national grid, having generated electricity for the... Read More >
- Northumbrian Water's Maxine Mayhew joins ADBA's board Northumbrian Water's group commercial director, Maxine Mayhew, is one of two new board appointments announced by anaerobic... Read More >
- VIDEO: Water flows at Anglian's new Lincolnshire reservoir Anglian Water has started filling its new reservoir in Lincolnshire, as it switched on the pumps for the very first time. Read More >
- New Sludge Conference to be part of Wastewater 2018 The UK's largest wastewater event - Wastewater 2018, organised by WWT - is set to return to Birmingham on 30th January and... Read More >
- SMART-Plant points way to circular economy European wastewater experts have worked together to open seven pilot plants which demonstrate technologies which could... Read More >
- Odour control: Going Undercover Thames Water is using a combination of covers, air filtering technology and monitoring in order to ensure it meets... Read More >
- Biological odour control in wastewater treatment plants When odour issues threaten to impact on the operations and reputation of wastewater utilities, bacterial treatments can hold... Read More >
- Comment: Sludge all set for reform The opening of the bioresources market presents water companies with an opportunity to do things differently, but what... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.