Northumbrian to carry out £15M treatment works upgrade
Northumbrian Water is investing £15M to upgrade two of its water treatment works in Northumberland.
The work at Warkworth and at Whittle Dene, near Horsley, will help to ensure the highest possible water quality for more than 290,000 homes across Northumberland.
Phased across two years, the upgrades at Whittle Dene WTW started at the end of 2016 and the work at Warkworth WTW commences this month.
At Whittle Dene, the project includes the refurbishment of old tanks, installation of a new tank and apparatus as well as the upgrade of existing equipment.
The work at Warkworth will see upgrades to tanker facilities and water treatment equipment, the introduction of new security fencing and CCTV, and the installation of new screens in the river intake, which serves the site.
Northumbrian Water partners Mott MacDonald Bentley (MMB) and Interserve Construction are carrying out the work.
Glyn Jenkins, Project Manager at Northumbrian Water, said: “We are focused on providing the best possible experience and service to our customers. This investment at our water treatment works at Warkworth and Whittle Dene will help us to deliver upon that aim.”
The utility will update residents and other interested parties on the progress of the project via the website www.nwlcommunityportal.co.uk.
- River Ouseburn diverted to tackle flooding The River Ouseburn is being diverted today (May 10) as part of a major scheme to tackle flooding in Brunton Park,... Read More >
- Northumbrian: 'Source to tap' approach reduces water discolouration In a move to further improve drinking water quality across its network and drive innovation nationwide, Northumbrian Water... Read More >
- Scottish Water wants Tier 1 delivery partners for water infrastructure work Scottish Water is seeking up two to four Tier 1 delivery partners to deliver its water infrastructure Quality and... Read More >
- Opinion: Why the EA needs to rethink its charges hike AD operators will have little time to adapt to the shock increase in charges proposed by the EA, writes Anaerobic... Read More >
- Top Tips for... chemical dosing Chemical dosing is a critical element of water and wastewater treatment, and while most users choose to invest in their... Read More >
- Top Tips for... System Totex With Ofwat's AMP6 reforms putting Totex at the centre of the investment planning process, applying this approach at inlet... Read More >
- Gasification of Sludge: Innovation in Action Yorkshire Water's advanced thermal conversion (ATC) gasification plant at Lower Brighouse WWTW has achieved a timely... Read More >
- The Next Generation of Sludge Dewatering The established equipment for dewatering sludge all comes with various pros and cons, but technology is now evolving for the... Read More >