Northumbrian to carry out £15M treatment works upgrade
Northumbrian Water is investing £15M to upgrade two of its water treatment works in Northumberland.
The work at Warkworth and at Whittle Dene, near Horsley, will help to ensure the highest possible water quality for more than 290,000 homes across Northumberland.
Phased across two years, the upgrades at Whittle Dene WTW started at the end of 2016 and the work at Warkworth WTW commences this month.
At Whittle Dene, the project includes the refurbishment of old tanks, installation of a new tank and apparatus as well as the upgrade of existing equipment.
The work at Warkworth will see upgrades to tanker facilities and water treatment equipment, the introduction of new security fencing and CCTV, and the installation of new screens in the river intake, which serves the site.
Northumbrian Water partners Mott MacDonald Bentley (MMB) and Interserve Construction are carrying out the work.
Glyn Jenkins, Project Manager at Northumbrian Water, said: “We are focused on providing the best possible experience and service to our customers. This investment at our water treatment works at Warkworth and Whittle Dene will help us to deliver upon that aim.”
The utility will update residents and other interested parties on the progress of the project via the website www.nwlcommunityportal.co.uk.
- ECS secures weir gate deal for EA refurbishment project on the Thames Environment Agency (EA) framework contractor ECS Engineering Services has secured a deal to supply eight radial weir gates... Read More >
- £9M upgrade of Morpeth STW completed Northumbrian Water has completed a project to upgrade Morpeth Sewage Treatment Works in Northumberland, at a cost of £9M. Read More >
- Storm tank misuse lands Welsh Water with fine Incorrect use of stormwater tanks has landed Dwr Cymru Welsh Water with a £15,000 fine after the utility admitting... Read More >
- Specialist microbes to remove wastewater hydrocarbons Hydrocarbons present particular difficulties when present in wastewater, but the right combination of bacteria can degrade... Read More >
- Project Focus: An innovative solution to the metaldehyde challenge The installation of CarboPlus technology at a treatment plant near Nantes in France has demonstrated the ability to hit... Read More >
- Round Table: Phosphorus Removal and Wastewater Innovation In the latest WWT round table, participants discussed the progress of innovative technologies for phosphorus removal, the... Read More >
- Digging Deeper: Rethinking Air Power With energy efficient aeration a priority, is it time for a rethink on the way the industry sizes its blowers? Read More >
- Bacteria to help meet the ammonia wastewater challenge Nitrifying bacteria can play a key role in tackling the challenge of ammonia discharges from wastewater treatment works,... Read More >
- Market Operations delivery manager What are we looking for?• Innovative, challenging and dynamic leader and team player. • Experience of working in a utility network... Read more here.
- General Manager Asset Management Essential Energy Location: Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia Salary: Competitive Essential Energy is one of Australia’s largest... Read more here.
- Energy Growth Strategy Analyst National Grid’s energy network transports electricity to homes and businesses all over the UK. It’s an essential part of all our lives.... Read more here.