North-east drain blockages cut by a fifth
Northumbrian Water's Love Your Drain campaign has helped reduce the number of blocked drains by nearly a fifth across the region since it was launched a year ago.
The campaign, with mascot Dwaine Pipe, aims to educate people on how they can prevent blocking drains and keep their neighbourhood sewers flowing freely. Northumbrian Water has revealed the campaign’s success, with a 17.6% reduction in the number of blockages since its launch on August 1, 2012.
Blockages are a significant issue for Northumbrian Water, which maintains a 30,000km sewer network, and can cost the water company £1M a year to clear.
Campaign activity in the past 12 months has included a dedicated webpage, regional shopping centre road shows and a radio campaign.
Richard Warneford, Northumbrian Water’s wastewater director, said: “The campaign, and especially our mascot Dwaine Pipe, has received a fantastic reception from our customers of all ages from day one and this shows in the reduction in blockages we’ve seen so far.
Warneford added that although the water company has seen a great start to the campaign, it will continue to focus its efforts on long-term behaviour change with a lot of education-based activities planned for the coming year.
- Ofwat cracks down on bad debt Ofwat has called on water companies to crack down on bad debt, saying it costs each customer in the UK £21 a year, and... Read More >
- Scottish Water reports 12% reduction in sewer blockages Scottish Water has announced that the number of drain and sewage blockages in Scotland have reduced by nearly 5,000 in the... Read More >
- Water Industry Achievement Awards 2016: finalists announced Entries for this year's Water Industry Achievement Awards are in, and the judges have made their very difficult decisions.... Read More >
- Pipe liner does the trick for mending rising main A trenchless solution was found for a rising main sewer in Norfolk which had suffered from repeated bursts Read More >
- Rise of the 'wipe wash' clogs UK's drains and sewers A trend for using wet wipes to clean the body could be partly responsible for the repeated blockages which are the scourge... Read More >
- Private drains and sewers transfer - six years on October 2011 marked a major change in the way sewers and drains running from private properties into the public sewer... Read More >
- Out of Order With women and girls across the globe still waiting for access to basic sanitation, western-style sewers are probably not... Read More >
- The Rights and Wrongs of Misconnections Appliances which have been incorrectly connected to surface drains rather than sewers are a significant cause of... Read More >