NI Water completes £6M Ballydougan to Newry upgrade
NI Water's £6M Ballydougan to Newry Trunk Main and overall Water Improvement Scheme has been completed. The scheme will upgrade the water storage and supply network for customers in Newry city and surrounding areas.
This overall programme of work included extensive upgrade work at Crieve Service Reservoir where the existing 0.4 mega litre tank was replaced by a new 4.2 mega litre reservoir. This significant upgrade will improve storage and security of the water supply for local customers.
Also included in this major package of improvements has been the refurbishment and extension to Carnbane Water Pumping Station and Cullyhanna Water Pumping Station (WPS).
The project involved essential upgrade work at a number of sites including Camlough Water Treatment Works (WTW), Newry West Service Reservoir, and Camly Service Reservoir, located 2km south of Newtownhamilton.
Finally, two new trunk mains were also completed as part of this upgrade package to facilitate the transfer of water. The Camlough to Newry West Trunk Main is a major 3.5km pipeline going from Carnbane WPS to Camlough WTW and Newry West Service Reservoir. The Crieve Trunk Main is a 3km pipeline that extends from Annsville to Crieve Service Reservoir.
Infrastructure minister Chris Hazzard welcomed the completion of the scheme, saying: “This major scheme will be especially important in supplementing increased demand in the area, particularly during winter periods or emergency situations when the infrastructure may be particularly vulnerable.”
Paul Davison, NI Water project sponsor, said:“We at NI Water are pleased to announce the completion of this major investment project, which is essential for the continued security of the local water supply. It will also ensure that NI Water continues to meet key Water Supply and EU Drinking Water Quality directives.
“This project is just one example of our continued commitment to delivering safe, clean drinking water to homes and businesses across Northern Ireland and supplying customers with approximately 559 million litres of good quality drinking water every day.”
The construction work was completed by BSG Civil Engineering, with Capita providing project management and cost management support.
- Ninety-plus private water supplies in Ireland are on boil water notices More than 90 private water supplies in Ireland, affecting 5,400-plus people, are on boil water notices, the Environmental... Read More >
- Dangerous mussel found in UK reservoir alarms conservationists A non-native mussel which has the potential to devastate Britain's watercourses and wetlands has been discovered in a... Read More >
- Murphy strengthens water offering with ADBI takeover Murphy has taken over AECOM Design Build Ireland (ADBI). The decision to buy ADBI helps Murphy broaden its water offering... Read More >
- Interview: Professor Dragan Savic, Exeter University "If you can't measure, you can't manage - and the most uncertain element of water management is the demand." Read More >
- Front Line: Jane Mellor, Head of Operational Procurement, NI Water In this month's Front Line feature we meet Jane Mellor, who heads the operational procurement team at Northern Ireland... Read More >
- Team effort saves time How innovation and collaboration knocked weeks off timescales on Severn Trent's Little Eaton WTW upgrade Read More >
- Comment: Waterworks fit for the 21st century In recent years, the focus of the UK's water industry has shifted from building new sophisticated water works to upgrading... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... harmonic distortion Harmonic distortion can be difficult to diagnose, but once found, it is relatively easy to remedy Read More >
- Market Operations delivery manager What are we looking for?• Innovative, challenging and dynamic leader and team player. • Experience of working in a utility network... Read more here.
- General Manager Asset Management Essential Energy Location: Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia Salary: Competitive Essential Energy is one of Australia’s largest... Read more here.
- Energy Growth Strategy Analyst National Grid’s energy network transports electricity to homes and businesses all over the UK. It’s an essential part of all our lives.... Read more here.