NI Water completes £6M Ballydougan to Newry upgrade
NI Water's £6M Ballydougan to Newry Trunk Main and overall Water Improvement Scheme has been completed. The scheme will upgrade the water storage and supply network for customers in Newry city and surrounding areas.
This overall programme of work included extensive upgrade work at Crieve Service Reservoir where the existing 0.4 mega litre tank was replaced by a new 4.2 mega litre reservoir. This significant upgrade will improve storage and security of the water supply for local customers.
Also included in this major package of improvements has been the refurbishment and extension to Carnbane Water Pumping Station and Cullyhanna Water Pumping Station (WPS).
The project involved essential upgrade work at a number of sites including Camlough Water Treatment Works (WTW), Newry West Service Reservoir, and Camly Service Reservoir, located 2km south of Newtownhamilton.
Finally, two new trunk mains were also completed as part of this upgrade package to facilitate the transfer of water. The Camlough to Newry West Trunk Main is a major 3.5km pipeline going from Carnbane WPS to Camlough WTW and Newry West Service Reservoir. The Crieve Trunk Main is a 3km pipeline that extends from Annsville to Crieve Service Reservoir.
Infrastructure minister Chris Hazzard welcomed the completion of the scheme, saying: “This major scheme will be especially important in supplementing increased demand in the area, particularly during winter periods or emergency situations when the infrastructure may be particularly vulnerable.”
Paul Davison, NI Water project sponsor, said:“We at NI Water are pleased to announce the completion of this major investment project, which is essential for the continued security of the local water supply. It will also ensure that NI Water continues to meet key Water Supply and EU Drinking Water Quality directives.
“This project is just one example of our continued commitment to delivering safe, clean drinking water to homes and businesses across Northern Ireland and supplying customers with approximately 559 million litres of good quality drinking water every day.”
The construction work was completed by BSG Civil Engineering, with Capita providing project management and cost management support.
- Northumbrian's Mosswood WTW stars in TV crime drama Northumbrian Water's Mosswood water treatment works, near Consett, County Durham has been used as the backdrop for the BBC... Read More >
- Welsh Water reaches another safety milestone The Costain team working on the Welsh Water Framework on 248 different projects has achieved over 3 million man hours... Read More >
- Hi-tech screens overcome fishy problem for Costain and Severn Trent water Severn Trent Water (STW) and Costain have devised a hi-tech way to protect fish while maintaining a secure water supply... Read More >
- Yorkshire Water's decision-making uses ‘five capitals’ approach Yorkshire Water has developed a new decision-making framework for PR19 which quantifies natural and social factors Read More >
- Dealing Direct: Direct Procurement in the Water Industry Direct procurement for large projects may add to the water industry's investor appeal, writes Guy Ledger Read More >
- Comment: A Totex Journey The move to outcomes and Totex-Based Regulation in AMP6 should mean water companies and contractors involving suppliers ... Read More >
- Digging Deeper: Making the case for resilience Building resilience requires water utilities to have a clear and systematic understanding of risk across their business,... Read More >
- Interview: Professor Dragan Savic, Exeter University "If you can't measure, you can't manage - and the most uncertain element of water management is the demand." Read More >
- Divisional Operations Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.
- Project Manager (Electrical & Instrumentation) SGN operates over 74,000km of gas mains and services in Scotland and the south of England. Whoever your supplier is, we have a responsibility... Read more here.