New water testing laboratory up and running
Southern Water's new partner laboratory at Otterbourne, Hampshire, is now up and running and testing hundreds of chemical and microbiology samples each day.
The lab, run by the water company’s appointed partners ALS Environmental, plays a vital role in ensuring drinking water supplies meet the high standard required.
The laboratory will concentrate on microbiological and inorganic drinking water testing for Southern Water, with plans to be able to process commercial samples too in 2017. At the lab, a team of analysts test samples taken from across Southern Water’s region - from river abstraction points and boreholes to water supply works, storage reservoirs and customers’ taps.
Southern Water’s water quality compliance manager Shelley Williams said: “A quarter of a million tests are carried out each year in our Otterbourne lab. With water quality sampling, it’s all about getting the most accurate result in the fastest time possible. This new lab can process all our samples for bacterial analysis, all of which would have previously been taken further afield for analysis, so it’s extremely important for us. This is a side of the business customers don’t normally see but it’s one of the most vital in protecting public health.”
The new laboratory had two successful audits from UKAS prior to its official opening at the end of October.
“I am proud of the hard work and dedication of the team involved in redesigning and refurbishing of the Otterbourne site,” Rickard Olofsson, Managing Director of ALS Environmental, said at the opening. “The efficiency of the rebuild enabled the method validations for our UKAS and DWTS accreditation to happen ahead of schedule. We look forward to working in partnership with Southern Water Services for many years to come.”
- New Chief Inspector of Drinking Water appointed The Drinking Water Inspectorate (DWI) has announced that Marcus Rink has been appointed as Chief Inspector of Drinking... Read More >
- Southern Water plans aquifer storage and recovery pilot scheme Southern Water wants to pilot a new scheme in Worthing where drinking water is stored in a natural underground reservoir... Read More >
- UU and Cuadrilla in 'early talks' over fracking United Utilities (UU) has confirmed it is in "early talks" with shale gas exploration company Cuadrilla... Read More >
- Comment: Moving sensors from the lab to the real world Innovative sensor technologies of various materials are out there - the key now is to apply them effectively and to make... Read More >
- Corrosion of water pipes: out of sight, out of mind? Pipe corrosion is a major cause of water quality complaints by customers, but how often is the water itself responsible... Read More >
- Top tips for... analyser maintenance Keeping continuous water analysers well maintained is vital to ensure you can rely on the information they provide, writes... Read More >
- Data: Predictive analysis pays off for Welsh Water Data scientists at Welsh Water built an analysis tool that can predict when service reservoirs are at risk of bacterial... Read More >
- Project Focus: Affinity Water in metaldehyde detection trial A trial at an Affinity Water treatment works in Hertfordshire has demonstrated the effectiveness of modifying lab... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.