New water testing laboratory up and running
Southern Water's new partner laboratory at Otterbourne, Hampshire, is now up and running and testing hundreds of chemical and microbiology samples each day.
The lab, run by the water company’s appointed partners ALS Environmental, plays a vital role in ensuring drinking water supplies meet the high standard required.
The laboratory will concentrate on microbiological and inorganic drinking water testing for Southern Water, with plans to be able to process commercial samples too in 2017. At the lab, a team of analysts test samples taken from across Southern Water’s region - from river abstraction points and boreholes to water supply works, storage reservoirs and customers’ taps.
Southern Water’s water quality compliance manager Shelley Williams said: “A quarter of a million tests are carried out each year in our Otterbourne lab. With water quality sampling, it’s all about getting the most accurate result in the fastest time possible. This new lab can process all our samples for bacterial analysis, all of which would have previously been taken further afield for analysis, so it’s extremely important for us. This is a side of the business customers don’t normally see but it’s one of the most vital in protecting public health.”
The new laboratory had two successful audits from UKAS prior to its official opening at the end of October.
“I am proud of the hard work and dedication of the team involved in redesigning and refurbishing of the Otterbourne site,” Rickard Olofsson, Managing Director of ALS Environmental, said at the opening. “The efficiency of the rebuild enabled the method validations for our UKAS and DWTS accreditation to happen ahead of schedule. We look forward to working in partnership with Southern Water Services for many years to come.”
- Southern Water achieves large reduction in water use Southern Water customers are using less water than ever before following on from the company's compulsory metering... Read More >
- Southern Water household bills fall by most in 2016 Southern Water has announced that average bills will fall by £7 in 2016/17, the largest reduction seen by a water company... Read More >
- Northern Ireland Executive consults over sustainable water proposals The Northern Ireland Executive (NIE) has gone out to public consultation over its plans for a sustainable water sector in... Read More >
- Project Focus: Affinity Water in metaldehyde detection trial A trial at an Affinity Water treatment works in Hertfordshire has demonstrated the effectiveness of modifying lab... Read More >
- Research Notes: The wastewater headache after taking an aspirin Trace contaminants, including chemicals from pharmaceutical and household products that are part of our daily lives, are a... Read More >
- Innovation Zone: Metaldehyde - a Pest of a Problem Amongst the agricultural pesticides that find their way into raw water sources, metaldehyde - which is used in slug... Read More >
- Interview: John Devall, Water Director, Northumbrian Water "Customer perception should be your reality - it's the ultimate barometer." Read More >
- Digging Deeper: Blocking leaden dangers With the dangers of lead in water highlighted recently by the case of the US city of Flint in Michigan, pipe expert Nick... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Starting salary: Grade SF £30,767 - £41,226 Job description: Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Repair and maintenance ganger (team leader) Taunton Location: Taunton Starting salary: Dependent on experience and training certificates, plus standby allowance and call out Package: 45... Read more here.
- Repair and maintenance ganger (team leader) Yeovil Location: Yeovil Starting salary: 26,520 - 28,560 salary dependent on experience and training certificates, plus standby allowance and call... Read more here.
- Repair and maintenance ganger (team leader) Cossington Location: Cossington Starting salary: £26,520 - £28,560 salary dependent on experience and training certificates, plus standby allowance... Read more here.