New water testing laboratory up and running
Southern Water's new partner laboratory at Otterbourne, Hampshire, is now up and running and testing hundreds of chemical and microbiology samples each day.
The lab, run by the water company’s appointed partners ALS Environmental, plays a vital role in ensuring drinking water supplies meet the high standard required.
The laboratory will concentrate on microbiological and inorganic drinking water testing for Southern Water, with plans to be able to process commercial samples too in 2017. At the lab, a team of analysts test samples taken from across Southern Water’s region - from river abstraction points and boreholes to water supply works, storage reservoirs and customers’ taps.
Southern Water’s water quality compliance manager Shelley Williams said: “A quarter of a million tests are carried out each year in our Otterbourne lab. With water quality sampling, it’s all about getting the most accurate result in the fastest time possible. This new lab can process all our samples for bacterial analysis, all of which would have previously been taken further afield for analysis, so it’s extremely important for us. This is a side of the business customers don’t normally see but it’s one of the most vital in protecting public health.”
The new laboratory had two successful audits from UKAS prior to its official opening at the end of October.
“I am proud of the hard work and dedication of the team involved in redesigning and refurbishing of the Otterbourne site,” Rickard Olofsson, Managing Director of ALS Environmental, said at the opening. “The efficiency of the rebuild enabled the method validations for our UKAS and DWTS accreditation to happen ahead of schedule. We look forward to working in partnership with Southern Water Services for many years to come.”
- New South East Water laboratory given UKAS mark South East Water's new laboratory facilities in Hampshire have been given the seal of approval by the UK Accreditation... Read More >
- Southern Water cleared on two East Worthing pollution charges Southern Water has been cleared of two charges in connection with the release of untreated sewage from its East Worthing... Read More >
- European standard for drinking water products moves closer The creation of a European system of testing materials in contact with drinking water is moving closer thanks to a... Read More >
- Top tips for... analyser maintenance Keeping continuous water analysers well maintained is vital to ensure you can rely on the information they provide, writes... Read More >
- Data: Predictive analysis pays off for Welsh Water Data scientists at Welsh Water built an analysis tool that can predict when service reservoirs are at risk of bacterial... Read More >
- Project Focus: Affinity Water in metaldehyde detection trial A trial at an Affinity Water treatment works in Hertfordshire has demonstrated the effectiveness of modifying lab... Read More >
- Research Notes: The wastewater headache after taking an aspirin Trace contaminants, including chemicals from pharmaceutical and household products that are part of our daily lives, are a... Read More >
- Innovation Zone: Metaldehyde - a Pest of a Problem Amongst the agricultural pesticides that find their way into raw water sources, metaldehyde - which is used in slug... Read More >
- Head of Engineering Our members control and maintain the critical national infrastructure that delivers the gas and electricity services into our homes and... Read more here.
- Assistant gas to grid engineer GENeco is a multi-award winning recycling and renewable energy company. We were created by Wessex Water in 2008 to help our parent company... Read more here.
- Chief Executive Officer The Electricity Association of Ireland (EAI) is the representative body for electricity producers, retailers and distributors on the island... Read more here.