MP petitions for UU to continue water abstraction from Ennerdale
Trudy Harrison, Conservative MP for Copeland, is urging residents to back her petition asking for United Utilities (UU) be allowed to continue extracting water from Ennerdale until the completion of the Thirlmere project in 2022.
More than 3,290 residents have signed the petition since its launch yesterday.
Harrison launched the petition after UU began blending water from boreholes with water from Ennerdale. She is proposing that the Environment Agency allow UU to draw the entirety of Copeland’s water supply from Ennerdale Water until the completion of the Thirlmere project in 2022.
She said: “Since Copeland’s water supply has altered to incorporate ‘harder’ water from boreholes near Egremont, I have been inundated with correspondence from residents asking me to explore the situation further. I am holding an urgent meeting with Copeland’s Mayor, Mike Starkie, the Environment Agency, the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, and United Utilities to discuss the proposal. I strongly encourage residents to sign the petition ahead of the meeting to demonstrate the strength of feeling in the community.”
Harrison said Copeland has received fresh Ennerdale water since the 1850s, and “we as a community are accustomed to the soft water of Ennerdale and should not have to make do with a 50:50 mix”.
The merge of Ennerdale water with that from boreholes means West Cumbria’s water supply is now harder than in cities such as Manchester and Liverpool with the amount of calcium carbonate rising from 6mg per litre to 75mg, and being classed as ‘moderately soft’.
The Environment Agency now legally requires UU to reduce water abstraction from Ennerdale Water and the River Ehen, to protect sensitive natural habitats and has started sourcing water from groundwater sites in South Egremont.
Harrison said: “During this transitional period, until our water is supplied from Thirlmere, I urge for the continuation of fresh supplies from Ennerdale Water. I recognise the importance of a protected eco system, however, this should not be at the cost of Copeland’s fresh water supply. We should be looking at ways for a continued supply of fresh water while at the same time safeguarding our natural habitats.”
The Thirlmere scheme forms part of United Utilities’ £300M Cumbrian water pipeline project to lay and reline more than 100km of pipes supplying homes and businesses from Thirlmere Reservoir.
- Coal Authority scheme protects drinking water source The Coal Authority's new protection scheme to prevent an important drinking water source from contamination by mine water... Read More >
- Scottish Water spends £120M on Ayrshire water mains scheme Scottish Water is investing £120M to improve the water supply network by installing 30 miles of new water mains to connect... Read More >
- Government promises £2.3bn funding for flood risk management The government is to spend £2.3bn over the next six years on more than 1,400 flood and coastal erosion projects, the... Read More >
- Comment: Moving sensors from the lab to the real world Innovative sensor technologies of various materials are out there - the key now is to apply them effectively and to make... Read More >
- Corrosion of water pipes: out of sight, out of mind? Pipe corrosion is a major cause of water quality complaints by customers, but how often is the water itself responsible... Read More >
- Top tips for... analyser maintenance Keeping continuous water analysers well maintained is vital to ensure you can rely on the information they provide, writes... Read More >
- Data: Predictive analysis pays off for Welsh Water Data scientists at Welsh Water built an analysis tool that can predict when service reservoirs are at risk of bacterial... Read More >
- Project Focus: Affinity Water in metaldehyde detection trial A trial at an Affinity Water treatment works in Hertfordshire has demonstrated the effectiveness of modifying lab... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.