Materials wrongly poured down 'rain drains' could lead to prosecutions
Local businesses and residents in Felixstowe are being urged by Anglian Water to think twice before tipping oil, paint or cleaning products down road gullies in the town.
The call comes after a black oily substance entered a surface water or “rain” drain and ended up at the beach. The “rain” drain is only designed to carry rainwater from roads and pavements and goes straight out to sea.
Lu Gilfoyle, coastal strategy manager at Anglian Water, said teams quickly attended after a member of the public on the beach reported seeing an oily substance. “Our scientists have taken samples and are talking to local businesses in the area to identify the substance and find its source. Materials like oil and even paint wrongly tipped down “rain” drains could cause a pollution at the beach and have a devastating impact on the environment. Anyone found doing this can be prosecuted.”
The problem is not just isolated to Felixstowe. For example, in Clacton last summer Anglian Water spray painted coloured crabs on road gullies after private coaches were suspected of emptying their toilets into the drain in the seafront car park.
Gilfoyle said: “Often people tipping things down the drain is an innocent mistake as they think all drains flow into a foul sewer and end up at the local water recycling centre. This isn’t always the case and road gullies can be connected to a rain drain which takes water from roads to the sea. We need to raise awareness among residents and visitors so they can be vigilant and report any activity like this. If they do they’ll be helping to protect their much-loved coastline.”
Anglian Water already employs a Coastal Protection Team that works all-year round to pinpoint pollution and prevent it impacting the coast. The water company also runs Beachcare, in conjunction with Keep Britain Tidy, to support volunteers and keep the region’s beaches litter-free.
Anglian Water has invested more than £300M in bathing waters over the past two decades and the region is now home to a quarter of Britain’s best bathing waters.
- Anglian Water extends metaldehyde-free farming trial Anglian Water has expanded its metaldehyde-free farming trial after successful first year results achieved a 60% drop in... Read More >
- EA investigates Thames over sewage pollution The Environment Agency (EA) is carrying out an investigation into why Thames Water pumped sewage into a village... Read More >
- South West Water ordered to tackle sewer spills The Environment Agency has introduced a series of special measures for South West Water, after the firm reported spillage... Read More >
- Rainwater spin-out companies offer innovative path Researchers from the University of Exeter's Centre for Water Systems are putting the latest rainwater harvesting and SuDS... Read More >
- Project Focus: Anglian Water uses mapping tool for retrofit SuDS As part of its plans to shape and develop its surface water management strategy, Anglian Water has been working with a... Read More >
- Digging Deeper: Making the case for resilience Building resilience requires water utilities to have a clear and systematic understanding of risk across their business,... Read More >
- Comment: Sustainable ways to prevent flooding With traditional methods of removing floodwater no longer fit for purpose, it's time to find out whether sustainable... Read More >
- Project Focus: Smart flood alleviation system protects Portsmouth A smart hydrometereological system was installed to monitor flood risk in the south coast city, with real-time sewer level... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.