Map highlights groundwater flood risk
A groundwater flood risk map of the UK is being made widely available for the first time. Created by JBA Consulting and available online from aerial mapping company Bluesky, the map is designed to help home owners, developers and risk management authorities understand the threat of groundwater flooding.
The new colour-coded hazard map complements other flood maps and geographic datasets already available from the Bluesky Mapshop.
Groundwater flooding occurs when the groundwater table in permeable rock types rises to enter basements and cellars or presents as excess water emerging at the ground surface. Often overlooked or confused with other causes of flooding, it can pose considerable economic and social threat.
As groundwater levels are generally highest following prolonged periods of rainfall, groundwater flooding is a growing threat as the UK is expected to experience considerably higher amounts of rainfall because of climate change.
“Groundwater flooding tends to be more persistent than surface water flooding and can result in significant damage to property,” said Rachel Tidmarsh, managing director of aerial mapping company Bluesky. “As weather events become more severe bringing longer periods of heavy rainfall, so, therefore, does the threat of groundwater flooding.”
The new Groundwater Flood Map was created by JBA Consulting and provides comprehensive coverage of all aquifers in England, Wales and Scotland. Created using a range of data, including known locations of past groundwater flooding events, rainfall measurements and aquifer properties, the new map provides classification of hazards on a 5m grid using a simple traffic-light system. A three-tiered methodology, used to create the map, allows for quick and efficient updates and refining of the map for local areas of interest.
“These maps will support flood risk management activities at a national or local scale, and will assist risk management authorities in meeting their responsibilities under the Flood and Water Management Act,” said Dr Maxine Zaidman, technical director for hydrology and hydrometry at JBA Consulting.
- EA to address report recommendations in Foss Barrier upgrade Staff were forced to shut down the pumps and open the barrier after water got into the Foss Barrier Pumping Station in... Read More >
- EA awards £9M framework to manage flood and coastal defence assets IPL and Manhattan Atrium have scooped a £9M framework with the Environment Agency (EA) to implement a new system that will... Read More >
- NI Water gives Ballystockart Pumping Main an upgrade NI Water is to upgrade the old Ballystockart Pumping Main in Comber as part of its £2M Wastewater Pumping Stations Upgrade... Read More >
- Interview: Lawrence Gosden, MD, Wastewater, Thames Water This month we talk to Lawrence Gosden, MD for wastewater at Thames Water, about building flood resilience in London and... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with… highway pollution Pollution from urban highways, trunk roads and motorways poses significant risks to the environment from toxic metals and... Read More >
- Rainwater spin-out companies offer innovative path Researchers from the University of Exeter's Centre for Water Systems are putting the latest rainwater harvesting and SuDS... Read More >
- Project Focus: Anglian Water uses mapping tool for retrofit SuDS As part of its plans to shape and develop its surface water management strategy, Anglian Water has been working with a... Read More >
- Digging Deeper: Making the case for resilience Building resilience requires water utilities to have a clear and systematic understanding of risk across their business,... Read More >
- Head of Tendering & Design Salary Range: Commensurate with roleThe Tendering & Design Department plays a critical role in turning customer enquiries in to fully costed... Read more here.
- Head of Operations Salary Range: Commensurate with role Head of Operations: The Head of Operations will be responsible for the successful day to day delivery... Read more here.
- Waste Water Network Manager c. £42,000 depending on skills and experience An exciting opportunity has arisen for the role of Wastewater Network Manager within the Asset... Read more here.
- Deputy Directors – multiple roles The Office of Rail and Road (ORR) is the independent economic and safety regulator for Britain’s railways, overseeing an industry that carried... Read more here.