Lanes carries out drainage surveys for Manchester regeneration project
Drainage and maintenance specialist Lanes Group is carrying out a comprehensive package of drainage surveys on hundreds of homes on behalf of Pendleton Together in Salford. The work is part of a plan to regenerate an inner city area of Greater Manchester.
The national Pendleton Together is a regeneration project that will create 1,600 new homes and refurbish 1,250 existing ones. Keepmoat is carrying out the work for a consortium of three housing associations.
Lanes' Manchester depot is surveying the underground drainage system serving the 1,250 homes being refurbished. The work also includes surveying dozens of drain pipes running down the side of blocks of flat.
Simon Roberts, Manchester area development manager at Lanes, said: "This is an exciting project for us. Carrying out detailed CCTV drainage surveys is a vital step in regeneration projects like this. The capacity of drainage assets have to be matched to the scale and scope of the development. New living standards and lifestyles put different stresses on drainage systems."
Tim Hough, Pendleton Together senior project manager for Keepmoat, said: "The drainage assets represented a significant risk for us, because we could not be sure of their condition. That is why we have asked Lanes Group to work with us, to precisely map the drainage system, and its condition.
"The drainage survey will also help us later, in the first stages of the new build programme, as it will clearly show how we need to connect new drainage assets to the current system."
Lanes drainage engineers are using HD video cameras, in some cases attached to remote-controlled robot vehicles, to carry out the drain surveys. GPS technology is being used to plot all pipes and manholes, creating a digital map of drainage assets, over which development plans can be laid.
For the downpipes, Lanes is using a push rod drainage camera system - a camera at the end of an 80m flexible cable - to survey foul and rain water pipes down the side of the buildings.
- Southern Water and EA investigate Swalecliff Brook pollution Southern Water has confirmed that its sewers and assets are not the cause of pollution at Swalecliff Brook in Kent, where... Read More >
- Jet Aire carries out drainage improvements for drug development firm Leeds-based drainage company Jet Aire has started an extensive contract to carry out sensitive drainage improvements at a... Read More >
- Multi-agency approach taken on drainage issues The Environment Agency (EA), Yorkshire Water and East Riding of Yorkshire Council are taking a multi-agency approach to... Read More >
- Rainwater spin-out companies offer innovative path Researchers from the University of Exeter's Centre for Water Systems are putting the latest rainwater harvesting and SuDS... Read More >
- Project Focus: Anglian Water uses mapping tool for retrofit SuDS As part of its plans to shape and develop its surface water management strategy, Anglian Water has been working with a... Read More >
- Digging Deeper: Making the case for resilience Building resilience requires water utilities to have a clear and systematic understanding of risk across their business,... Read More >
- Comment: Sustainable ways to prevent flooding With traditional methods of removing floodwater no longer fit for purpose, it's time to find out whether sustainable... Read More >
- Project Focus: Smart flood alleviation system protects Portsmouth A smart hydrometereological system was installed to monitor flood risk in the south coast city, with real-time sewer level... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.