Irish Water invests euros 820K in water mains project
Irish Water is investing more than €820,000 in a water mains project that will ensure a clean and secure water supply for the 590-plus people served by the Rathmullan Water Supply.
This supply is on the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Remedial Action List (RAL) for high levels of Trihalomethanes (THMs). The THMs are chemicals formed by the reaction of naturally occurring dissolved organic material with chlorine which is used for disinfection in order to protect against pathogenic bacteria.
The project is being undertaken to remove any risk posed by THMs, and ultimately remove the supply from the EPA’s list.
The works include the installation and commissioning of more than 3km of water main in the Rathmullan area. Two water main booster pumping stations will also be constructed at Milford and Milbrook.
The watermains replacement is broken down into 570m of water mains to be replaced in Milford, 1,460m from Ray to Rathmullan and 1,220m at Millbrook. Irish Water is working towards a summer completion date for the project.
Irish Water has put in place the first national THM plan and a prioritised programme of investment to address all inadequacies in drinking water parameters including THMs. By 2021 the utility plans to reduce the number of schemes on the RAL to zero with an investment of €327M in upgrading water supplies at risk from THMs.
Irish Water’s capital programme regional lead, (North West), John McElwaine, said: “Irish Water is working in partnership with Donegal County Council to continually improve drinking water quality throughout the county. This particular project in Rathmullan will greatly enhance the quality of water supplied to people served by the Rathmullan Water Supply.”
The project forms part of Irish Water’s investment plan where works have been prioritised to address the most critical issues in line with commitments outlined in its business plan. Delivery of the business plan will involve a €5.5bn investment in capital spending on drinking water and wastewater quality and capacity and new infrastructure up to 2021.
- Crypto contamination cause unknown, says Irish Water Irish Water has yet to identify what caused the cryptosporidium contamination at its Lough Mask Water Treatment Plant,... Read More >
- Scottish Water invests to reduce chlorine at Aviemore WTW Scottish Water is making further enhancements to its treatment process at Aviemore water treatment works in response to... Read More >
- Irish Water marks opening of Gorey-Courtown WWTW Irish Water has marked the official opening of the Gorey-Courtown Wastewater Treatment Plant with a ceremony attended by... Read More >
- Reliability engineering key to resilience As a result of the 2014 Water Act and Ofwat, water companies are increasingly studying how resilient they might be to... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... site security The current threat level for international terrorism in the UK is classed as ‘severe', and damage or destruction to... Read More >
- Tanks need a spot of TLC Proper maintenance of tanks is key to ensure their long and productive life, while refurbishment can give a new lease of... Read More >
- Fundamental Equations Alec Erskine explores how some key equations can assist with the business of asset management in water Read More >
- Yorkshire Water's decision-making uses ‘five capitals’ approach Yorkshire Water has developed a new decision-making framework for PR19 which quantifies natural and social factors Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.