Irish Water announces €16.6m Thurles investment
Irish Water has announced that it will work with Tipperary County Council to deliver a new water supply for Thurles and surrounding areas, including the construction of new water treatment plant.
The project will involve a €16.6 million investment, with the new supply replacing 10 existing water treatment plants which are vulnerable to water quality issues.
The project will involve the construction of a new water treatment plant at Killenyearda, along with intake works and a pumping station at Rathkeenan and associated mains.
A contract has been signed with Glan Agua Limited to deliver the project and construction is due to get underway in the coming months.
Irish Water’s programme manager, Lisa Cogan, said: “Irish Water and Tipperary County Council are pleased to be progressing this project, which is essential in order to provide clean, safe drinking water for local businesses and residents.
"The project represents an investment of €16.6 million in Tipperary which will benefit the community now and into the future. It will also enable the realisation of benefits from previous investments in the network and reservoirs in the Thurles Regional Water Supply Scheme.”
Irish Water spent over €526 million on water and wastewater services in 2017.
- One million hours and no accidents at Blackburn Meadows Yorkshire Water's Blackburn Meadows wastewater treatment works is one of the safest construction sites in the region, with... Read More >
- Boil water notice for 250 homes in Somerset Wessex Water has issued 250 households in Somerset with a notice to boil their water after a routine test revealed water... Read More >
- New £60M treatment works for Plymouth takes shape Workers building South West Water's new £60M state-of-the-art water treatment works for Plymouth and the surrounding area... Read More >
- Opinion: Phosphorus just one of the problem pollutants Phosphorus may be front of mind for wastewater treatment in the UK at the moment, but this emphasis should not mean that... Read More >
- DAF and municipal wastewater: a versatile option There is growing awareness of how Dissolved Air Flotation (DAF) can be successfully used throughout the process stream at... Read More >
- Expert View: Phosphorus removal made simple With the water industry seeking efficient ways to remove phosphorus (P), the C-TECH biological process is one solution... Read More >
- Treating the Blues: Low-cost, sustainable nitrate treatment Advances in biotechnology now mean that low-cost, sustainable nitrate treatment for drinking water and wastewater is... Read More >
- MBBRs: Putting wastewater to bed Moving Bed Bioreactors (MBBRs) are the filtration method of choice for many operators looking to remove BOD, ammonia and... Read More >