Hybrid-powered generators help Thames keep the noise down
Thames Water is using pioneering hybrid-powered generators to help reduce emissions and noise on constructions sites.
The virtually silent Hybrid Power Pods are being successfully used in the streets of Hackney and Slough for water main diversion work, to allow longer working hours and minimal noise disruption.
The pods’ battery technology replaces a traditional generator once a pre-programmed time of day or energy level is reached. The pod is so advanced, it then automatically shuts the diesel generator off completely. As in hybrid cars, the battery charges when the generator (or engine) is running.
Dr Keith Colquhoun, climate change and sustainability manager for Thames Water, said: “We’re always looking for ways to more efficiently power our activities and reduce our environmental impact. These Hybrid Power Pods have been a revelation as they are portable, and provide power wherever we need it without disrupting our customers, especially at night time to support being a good neighbour.”
Hannah Rose, Thames Water environment manager, added: “We’re measuring the efficiency of the pods closely, tracking and capturing data. But between July and December last year, these pods saved over 30,000 litres of red diesel and more than 80 tonnes of carbon, reducing our overall greenhouse gas emissions.”
The new addition to Thames Water’s power supply has been made possible through a partnership with Power Savings Solutions, who design, manufacture and supply hybrid generators to the construction industry.
- Thames Water faces draft penalty notice for licence obligation breaches Thames Water could be issued with a draft penalty notice by Ofwat for breaching its licence obligations concerning the... Read More >
- Labour councillors urge Ofwat to reject Thames Water's price hike Labour councillors have written to water regulator Ofwat urging it to reject Thames Water's application to increase prices... Read More >
- UK brewing sector sees water efficiency gains The UK brewing sector has met its 2020 carbon emissions target eight years early and is on track to achieve its 2020... Read More >
- WWT's Water Industry Energy Conference to take place in June Water industry professionals tasked with managing and generating energy and building resilience and sustainability into... Read More >
- Round Table: Energy storage and on-site generation With battery technology advancing rapidly, participants in WWT's latest round table discussion talked about the potential... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... Carbon Footprinting Working out the carbon footprint of a project such as a drainage installation involves a number of variables, with... Read More >
- Digging Deeper: Rethinking Air Power With energy efficient aeration a priority, is it time for a rethink on the way the industry sizes its blowers? Read More >
- Comment: Decoupling water from energy use is a global priority The technology exists to achieve energy neutrality across the whole water cycle, and it should be considered a global... Read More >
- Market Operations delivery manager What are we looking for?• Innovative, challenging and dynamic leader and team player. • Experience of working in a utility network... Read more here.
- General Manager Asset Management Essential Energy Location: Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia Salary: Competitive Essential Energy is one of Australia’s largest... Read more here.
- Energy Growth Strategy Analyst National Grid’s energy network transports electricity to homes and businesses all over the UK. It’s an essential part of all our lives.... Read more here.