Hybrid-powered generators help Thames keep the noise down
Thames Water is using pioneering hybrid-powered generators to help reduce emissions and noise on constructions sites.
The virtually silent Hybrid Power Pods are being successfully used in the streets of Hackney and Slough for water main diversion work, to allow longer working hours and minimal noise disruption.
The pods’ battery technology replaces a traditional generator once a pre-programmed time of day or energy level is reached. The pod is so advanced, it then automatically shuts the diesel generator off completely. As in hybrid cars, the battery charges when the generator (or engine) is running.
Dr Keith Colquhoun, climate change and sustainability manager for Thames Water, said: “We’re always looking for ways to more efficiently power our activities and reduce our environmental impact. These Hybrid Power Pods have been a revelation as they are portable, and provide power wherever we need it without disrupting our customers, especially at night time to support being a good neighbour.”
Hannah Rose, Thames Water environment manager, added: “We’re measuring the efficiency of the pods closely, tracking and capturing data. But between July and December last year, these pods saved over 30,000 litres of red diesel and more than 80 tonnes of carbon, reducing our overall greenhouse gas emissions.”
The new addition to Thames Water’s power supply has been made possible through a partnership with Power Savings Solutions, who design, manufacture and supply hybrid generators to the construction industry.
- Closest pass ever as Crossrail TBM encounters sewer A unique civil engineering project took place earlier this year when London's Ham sewer needed protection from the... Read More >
- Thames Water plans £17.5M spend to stop sewage flooding Thames Water plans to build two overspill tanks to capture sewage and stormwater in Maida Vale, Maida Hill and Little... Read More >
- Thames Water steps up fight on FOG Thames Water has launched a campaign to encourage food outlets to effectively manage waste fats, oils and grease (FOG). Read More >
- WWT's Water Industry Energy Conference to take place in June Water industry professionals tasked with managing and generating energy and building resilience and sustainability into... Read More >
- Round Table: Energy storage and on-site generation With battery technology advancing rapidly, participants in WWT's latest round table discussion talked about the potential... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... Carbon Footprinting Working out the carbon footprint of a project such as a drainage installation involves a number of variables, with... Read More >
- Digging Deeper: Rethinking Air Power With energy efficient aeration a priority, is it time for a rethink on the way the industry sizes its blowers? Read More >
- Comment: Decoupling water from energy use is a global priority The technology exists to achieve energy neutrality across the whole water cycle, and it should be considered a global... Read More >
- Divisional Operations Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.
- Project Manager (Electrical & Instrumentation) SGN operates over 74,000km of gas mains and services in Scotland and the south of England. Whoever your supplier is, we have a responsibility... Read more here.