Hybrid-powered generators help Thames keep the noise down
Thames Water is using pioneering hybrid-powered generators to help reduce emissions and noise on constructions sites.
The virtually silent Hybrid Power Pods are being successfully used in the streets of Hackney and Slough for water main diversion work, to allow longer working hours and minimal noise disruption.
The pods’ battery technology replaces a traditional generator once a pre-programmed time of day or energy level is reached. The pod is so advanced, it then automatically shuts the diesel generator off completely. As in hybrid cars, the battery charges when the generator (or engine) is running.
Dr Keith Colquhoun, climate change and sustainability manager for Thames Water, said: “We’re always looking for ways to more efficiently power our activities and reduce our environmental impact. These Hybrid Power Pods have been a revelation as they are portable, and provide power wherever we need it without disrupting our customers, especially at night time to support being a good neighbour.”
Hannah Rose, Thames Water environment manager, added: “We’re measuring the efficiency of the pods closely, tracking and capturing data. But between July and December last year, these pods saved over 30,000 litres of red diesel and more than 80 tonnes of carbon, reducing our overall greenhouse gas emissions.”
The new addition to Thames Water’s power supply has been made possible through a partnership with Power Savings Solutions, who design, manufacture and supply hybrid generators to the construction industry.
- Thames Water to operate on 100% renewable energy after Haven Power deal Haven Power has signed a deal with Thames Water to provide it with electricity in a deal worth more than £500M over five... Read More >
- London Assembly calls for Thames Water drainage network assessment The London Assembly's environment committee wants Thames Water to provide an assessment of its drainage network's ability... Read More >
- Unison boss wants 'root and branch' review of water industry Trade union Unison is urging the government to launch "a root and branch" review of the water industry. The call... Read More >
- Gasification of Sludge: Innovation in Action Yorkshire Water's advanced thermal conversion (ATC) gasification plant at Lower Brighouse WWTW has achieved a timely... Read More >
- Powering the pumps: electric or diesel? The question of which power source to use for portable pump sets can be a difficult one, with both electric and diesel... Read More >
- Reducing harmonics with passive filters or active front-end drives Harmonics in the electrical systems of operators can be addressed by front-end drives or passive filters, with each having... Read More >
- The new approach to energy efficiency Many pump systems are far less energy efficient than they appear to be, and optimising electrical systems is the key Read More >
- Round Table: Pumps and energy Performance monitoring supported by technology and condition-based maintenance are two of the key factors in optimising... Read More >