Huge pipe-pushing machine imported for Thames work
Thames Water alliance eight2O has used a giant pipe-pushing machine to reinforce Victorian pipework in Surrey - the first time such a machine has been used in England.
The pipe-pusher, capable of producing a staggering 100 tonnes of thrust, has been commissioned from Dutch company Gebr. van Leeuwen Boringen BV, and is being used as part of a £5.5M scheme to re-line cast iron trunk mains near Raynes Park, New Malden.
The beast of a machine will help reduce the risk of interruptions to water supplies for the 82,000 Thames Water customers who are connected to the pipes, and also reduce the risk of emergency road works.
Secured in a large trench, it uses its massive thrusting power to push new trunk main pipes through the century-old Victorian ones.
“Modern techniques allow us to slide the new plastic pipes inside the old ones,” says project manager Ben Connis, from Thames Water alliance eight2O. “This reduces the need to excavate large trenches and, as a result, improves safety while reducing cost.”
The scheme requires two cast iron trunk mains to be re-lined between Raynes Park recreation ground and a pedestrian footpath, known as ‘The Cut’, opposite New Malden railway station – a distance of around 1,700m each.
Connis added: “For this project we also carefully planned where we would excavate to keep disruption to The Cut and Coombe Road to a minimum while we rehabilitated these mains that pre-date the reign of Queen Victoria.”
The machine drives 12 metre lengths of 710mm PE SDR11 – high density polyethylene pipes – inside the old Victorian mains from Raynes Park to the rear of the railway station, a distance of 1,200m, with the remaining 500m being slip-lined through The Cut.
The pipe pushing machine is so efficient that it can push a 12m length quicker than the time needed to fusion weld the next length onto the run. The machine is now returning to Holland but is highly likely to return for Phase 2 of the project, which is in the planning stages.
- Thames Water opens upgraded Mogden STW Thames Water has officially opened its Mogden sewage treatment works following a three-year project to upgrade the site.... Read More >
- Thames Water makes two senior executive appointments Thames Water has made two senior appointments to its executive team, with both promoted from existing roles within the... Read More >
- Severn Trent Water, Echologics and Loughborough University triumph in WIAAs Severn Trent Water, Echologics and Loughborough University triumphed last night when they were crowned outright winner of... Read More >
- Corrosion of water pipes: out of sight, out of mind? Pipe corrosion is a major cause of water quality complaints by customers, but how often is the water itself responsible... Read More >
- Project Focus: Going with the flow in the Elan Valley The first of three tunnel diversions has recently been completed as part of the £300M Severn Trent project to renovate the... Read More >
- National pride of top tappers Drilling and Tapping teams from America and the Netherlands are gearing up to take part in the World Water Cup in... Read More >
- Comment: A Totex Journey The move to outcomes and Totex-Based Regulation in AMP6 should mean water companies and contractors involving suppliers ... Read More >
- Valves and flow control: Pressure Points Building a smarter network need not be expensive - a first step is to establish a calm pressure profile, writes Craig... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.