Groundforce contributes to retaining wall guidance
Groundforce Shorco has made a small but significant contribution to CIRIA's guidance on embedded retaining wall design (C760).
The recently issued document replaces the previous C580 guidance, and will provide a comprehensive Eurocode compliant design manual for embedded retaining walls.
CIRIA is the construction industry research and information association, a neutral, independent and not-for-profit body, linking organisations with common interests and facilitating a range of collaborative activities that help improve the industry.
Groundforce Shorco was invited to part fund and contribute to the new guidance document based on its experience in this specialised field of engineering. The information they supplied included specialist design guidance on the application of Eurocodes to the design of long span proprietary props including recommendations for thermal loading effects from prop load monitored case studies.
Tony Gould, Groundforce’s technical director, said: “The new document provides a wealth of best practice and specific design guidance on the selection and design of embedded retaining walls to satisfy the requirements of the Eurocodes. It covers both temporary and permanent situations for cantilever, anchored, single and multi-propped retaining walls that rely on embedment in a variety of commonly encountered ground conditions for full or partial support.
“C760 also addresses the technical and construction issues relating to the selection of appropriate wall types and construction sequences to achieve a satisfactory solution. It also clarifies areas of ambiguity and common misunderstandings when applying the Eurocodes to the design of embedded retaining walls and presents a clear, unambiguous method for the application of observational methodology to retaining wall design.
- Little Mermaid submersible digger scours Surrey river bed Osborne and sheet piling sub-contractor Suttle Projects collaborated to provide a world-first scour protection solution... Read More >
- Scottish Water awards Tier 1 alliance partner contracts Three companies have been awarded Tier 1 alliance partner contracts by Scottish Water to help deliver the utility's... Read More >
- Tideway manoeuvres crane into position by barge Tideway has started the major work to clean up London's River Thames with two boats pushing a barge supporting a crane... Read More >
- Reliability engineering key to resilience As a result of the 2014 Water Act and Ofwat, water companies are increasingly studying how resilient they might be to... Read More >
- Comment: A dynamic response to change Market changes in the water industry mean that contractors must step up play a bigger and more responsible role in... Read More >
- Interview: Prof Rudi Klein, chief executive officer, SEC Group "The wait - that is the real problem," says Professor Rudi Klein on the subject of cash retentions in construction... Read More >
- Front Line: Digging Scottish Water's Shieldhall Tunnel In this month's Front Line feature we meet Tom Rushe, who is part of a team of engineers working on Scottish Water's £100M... Read More >
- Water Industry Procurement: could Brexit provide a fresh start? Could Brexit lead to a re-examination of the procurement rules which govern the water industry and other infrastructure... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.