Groundforce contributes to retaining wall guidance
Groundforce Shorco has made a small but significant contribution to CIRIA's guidance on embedded retaining wall design (C760).
The recently issued document replaces the previous C580 guidance, and will provide a comprehensive Eurocode compliant design manual for embedded retaining walls.
CIRIA is the construction industry research and information association, a neutral, independent and not-for-profit body, linking organisations with common interests and facilitating a range of collaborative activities that help improve the industry.
Groundforce Shorco was invited to part fund and contribute to the new guidance document based on its experience in this specialised field of engineering. The information they supplied included specialist design guidance on the application of Eurocodes to the design of long span proprietary props including recommendations for thermal loading effects from prop load monitored case studies.
Tony Gould, Groundforce’s technical director, said: “The new document provides a wealth of best practice and specific design guidance on the selection and design of embedded retaining walls to satisfy the requirements of the Eurocodes. It covers both temporary and permanent situations for cantilever, anchored, single and multi-propped retaining walls that rely on embedment in a variety of commonly encountered ground conditions for full or partial support.
“C760 also addresses the technical and construction issues relating to the selection of appropriate wall types and construction sequences to achieve a satisfactory solution. It also clarifies areas of ambiguity and common misunderstandings when applying the Eurocodes to the design of embedded retaining walls and presents a clear, unambiguous method for the application of observational methodology to retaining wall design.
- GCA begins process commissioning at Liverpool WwTW upgrade Process commissioning of the £200M extension to United Utilities' (UU) Liverpool Wastewater Treatment Works has now been... Read More >
- NI Water awards safety equipment supply deal NI Water has awarded a new £3.25M contract to Duncrue-based Heyn Engineering to supply and maintain essential safety and... Read More >
- Turner and Townsend buys lean management consultancy Suiko Turner & Townsend has announced the acquisition of UK-based operational excellence consultancy Suiko for an... Read More >
- Trant Engineering: Forward thinking Now positioned as a multi-discipline, innovation-focused contractor, Trant Engineering is aiming high - and says its... Read More >
- Service reservoir project refreshes supply in Burton-on-Trent Stonbury's project to construct a new service reservoir for South Staffs Water achieved the best whole-life asset solution... Read More >
- Factory Thinking: Is it time for offsite build in the water industry? Offsite manufacture of water assets in a factory environment is widely seen as a step to greater efficiency, especially if... Read More >
- Offsite build for Affinity pumping station Taking a pioneering new approach to a borehole pumping station upgrade in Essex, Affinity Water minimised asset downtime... Read More >
- Interview: Stantec UK MD Cath Schefer After MWH merged into Stantec, the combined business is putting the focus squarely on collaboration and innovation to find... Read More >