Groundforce contributes to retaining wall guidance
Groundforce Shorco has made a small but significant contribution to CIRIA's guidance on embedded retaining wall design (C760).
The recently issued document replaces the previous C580 guidance, and will provide a comprehensive Eurocode compliant design manual for embedded retaining walls.
CIRIA is the construction industry research and information association, a neutral, independent and not-for-profit body, linking organisations with common interests and facilitating a range of collaborative activities that help improve the industry.
Groundforce Shorco was invited to part fund and contribute to the new guidance document based on its experience in this specialised field of engineering. The information they supplied included specialist design guidance on the application of Eurocodes to the design of long span proprietary props including recommendations for thermal loading effects from prop load monitored case studies.
Tony Gould, Groundforce’s technical director, said: “The new document provides a wealth of best practice and specific design guidance on the selection and design of embedded retaining walls to satisfy the requirements of the Eurocodes. It covers both temporary and permanent situations for cantilever, anchored, single and multi-propped retaining walls that rely on embedment in a variety of commonly encountered ground conditions for full or partial support.
“C760 also addresses the technical and construction issues relating to the selection of appropriate wall types and construction sequences to achieve a satisfactory solution. It also clarifies areas of ambiguity and common misunderstandings when applying the Eurocodes to the design of embedded retaining walls and presents a clear, unambiguous method for the application of observational methodology to retaining wall design.
- University produces clean water from manure Michigan State University (MSU) has developed an anaerobic digestion system that turns cow manure into clean drinking... Read More >
- Pipe manufacturer backs export growth Clay pipe manufacturer Naylor Industries, which has seen exports triple in three years, is investing in its workforce to... Read More >
- Bluesky LiDAR Helps Wiltshire Council Tackle Flooding Risk Aerial laser mapping technology is helping Wiltshire Council investigate flooding in the Corsham area of the county. Read More >
- Ross-shire Engineering: Aiming High With its latest modular water treatment plant having hit new heights in terms of scale and ambition, Ross-shire... Read More >
- Interview: Yorkshire Water procurement head Andy Clark Yorkshire Water's Andy Clark tells Robin Hackett why the company is making major changes to its procurement strategy Read More >
- Digital engineering for the totex environment Digitalisation of the design and construction process as well as the use of intelligent piping and instrumentation... Read More >
- Dewatering pump maintenance: Keep moving Maintaining your dewatering pumps goes a long way, writes Joe Moser, pump product manager, Atlas Copco Construction... Read More >
- New direction: Is the industry ready for direct procurement? Ofwat's continued aim to drive efficiency and value for customers will see the introduction of a new direct procurement... Read More >