Green light for Southern Water's drought strategy
Southern Water's 25-year strategy to ensure reliable drinking water supplies for its customers have been approved by the government. The strategy includes using a modelling technique to plan for future droughts.
In its Water Resources & Drought Strategy, just published, Southern Water also sets out how it will meet the challenges of population and housing growth and potential reductions in licences to abstract water from rivers and groundwater in the South-east.
Southern Water said that water industry, until now, has based plans to secure water on the past 120 years of rainfall records, which include five significant droughts. Each drought was different, and had a different impact on water sources..
The company said the limitation of this approach is that the water industry only plans for droughts after they have happened. However, Southern Water said its new approach, developed with the universities of East Anglia and Newcastle, allows it to plan for the ‘what ifs’ of the future.
Meyrick Gough, water resources manager at Southern Water, said: “We are the only water company to use this innovative modelling technique to formulate our plan, which will ensure we can continue to secure reliable water supplies in the future, even if we experience droughts more severe than those we have seen before and which last a number of years.”
Chris Kilsby, Professor of Climate Change and Hydrology at Newcastle University, said: “The South-east is classed as an area of serious water stress and it is only a matter of time before we see a drought more serious than those seen in the past. Southern Water is getting on the front foot by using advanced techniques to help understand future weather patterns and the droughts of tomorrow.”
Southern Water's Water Resources & Drought Strategy also includes schemes for water re-use, aquifer storage and recovery and desalination, which will help develop a network resilient to future droughts. There are also schemes to reduce leaks from water mains and water efficiency to help customers, schools and businesses save water, energy and money.
- Contractors gain new mapping tool The GeoInformation Group has launched a suite of new geographic information products that will help water contractors in... Read More >
- SEW hammers home health and safety message Hard-hitting videos showing the impact of failing to heed health and safety messages have been presented to South East... Read More >
- Construction starts on Birmingham Resilience Project A groundbreaking ceremony has taken place marking the first construction work on Severn Trent's Birmingham Resilience... Read More >
- Rainwater spin-out companies offer innovative path Researchers from the University of Exeter's Centre for Water Systems are putting the latest rainwater harvesting and SuDS... Read More >
- Comment: Preparing for extreme weather events The challenge of climate change resilience means that the conventional deterministic approach to drought planning is no... Read More >
- Interview: Jean Spencer, Anglian Water director, on drought resilience In this WWT profile interview Jean Spencer, Director of Strategic Growth and Resilience at Anglian Water, talks about the... Read More >
- The universal challenge of water Water utilities across the world face many similar challenges despite their varying locations and economic conditions,... Read More >
- Front Line: Luke Petts, Metering Team Leader, Morrison Utility Services In this month's Front Line feature we meet Luke Petts, who leads the team of meter installers on Thames Water's Smart... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.