Glyn Rhonwy pumped storage scheme gets go-ahead
The government has announced that it has given development consent to the Glyn Rhonwy pumped storage hydro scheme in Caernarfon.
The project, led by Snowdonia Pumped Hydro Ltd, will involve the construction and operation of a 99.9MW pumped storage scheme at the Glyn Rhonwy and Chwarel Fawr quarries. Both quarries will be decommissioned as part of the project, under the provisions of the Reservoirs Act 1975.
The project will see a head pond created in the disused Chwarel Fawr quarry with a new dam, access shaft and spillway infrastructure to the Nant y Betws stream. A tailpond will be situated in the Glyn Rhonwy quarry – also with a dam, access shaft and spillway leading to a new pumping station at Llyn Padarn.
Meanwhile, a power house will be built at the Glyn Rhonwy Industrial Estate to the south of the Glyn Rhonwy quarry with ancillary buildings and equipment consisting of up to two underground turbines and pumps approximately 70 metres underground. A penstock will connect the reservoir in the Chwarel Fawr quarry to the power house, and a tail race will connect the power house to the reservoir in the Glyn Rhonwy Quarry.
The project was subject to national planning rules because it counts as a ‘Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project’ under the Planning Act 2008, by virtue of being an onshore generating station with a generating capacity of greater than 50MW.
In approving the application, the government said that the scheme would deliver ‘repeatable and reliable on demand energy’ and the infrastructure had a ‘considerable lifetime’ of more than a century.
- Thames proposes 11% rise in customer bills to fund Tideway Tunnel Thames Water is seeking an 11% increase in customer water bills between 2015 and 2020 to help pay for the proposed Thames... Read More >
- Hong Kong's first self-sustaining sludge treatment plant opens Hong Kong's first self-sustaining sludge treatment facility, T·PARK, has officially opened. Mott MacDonald acted as... Read More >
- Joint venture changes flow meter market A new joint venture (JV) has been formed by the merger of Flowtechnik, the process flow meter division of Hydrotechnik UK,... Read More >
- Round Table: Pumps and energy Performance monitoring supported by technology and condition-based maintenance are two of the key factors in optimising... Read More >
- The Big Picture on Energy Costs Details matter when it comes to pump system energy assessments, which is why not all assessments are the same Read More >
- Interview: David Rose, Energy and Carbon Manager, South West Water "Certification has really helped staff engage with the energy agenda; I feel we've got a framework to work with." Read More >
- WWT's Water Industry Energy Conference to take place in June Water industry professionals tasked with managing and generating energy and building resilience and sustainability into... Read More >
- Round Table: Energy storage and on-site generation With battery technology advancing rapidly, participants in WWT's latest round table discussion talked about the potential... Read More >
- Head of Engineering Our members control and maintain the critical national infrastructure that delivers the gas and electricity services into our homes and... Read more here.
- Assistant gas to grid engineer GENeco is a multi-award winning recycling and renewable energy company. We were created by Wessex Water in 2008 to help our parent company... Read more here.
- Chief Executive Officer The Electricity Association of Ireland (EAI) is the representative body for electricity producers, retailers and distributors on the island... Read more here.