Glyn Rhonwy pumped storage scheme gets go-ahead
The government has announced that it has given development consent to the Glyn Rhonwy pumped storage hydro scheme in Caernarfon.
The project, led by Snowdonia Pumped Hydro Ltd, will involve the construction and operation of a 99.9MW pumped storage scheme at the Glyn Rhonwy and Chwarel Fawr quarries. Both quarries will be decommissioned as part of the project, under the provisions of the Reservoirs Act 1975.
The project will see a head pond created in the disused Chwarel Fawr quarry with a new dam, access shaft and spillway infrastructure to the Nant y Betws stream. A tailpond will be situated in the Glyn Rhonwy quarry – also with a dam, access shaft and spillway leading to a new pumping station at Llyn Padarn.
Meanwhile, a power house will be built at the Glyn Rhonwy Industrial Estate to the south of the Glyn Rhonwy quarry with ancillary buildings and equipment consisting of up to two underground turbines and pumps approximately 70 metres underground. A penstock will connect the reservoir in the Chwarel Fawr quarry to the power house, and a tail race will connect the power house to the reservoir in the Glyn Rhonwy Quarry.
The project was subject to national planning rules because it counts as a ‘Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project’ under the Planning Act 2008, by virtue of being an onshore generating station with a generating capacity of greater than 50MW.
In approving the application, the government said that the scheme would deliver ‘repeatable and reliable on demand energy’ and the infrastructure had a ‘considerable lifetime’ of more than a century.
- Scottish Water's water quality the best on record, says DWQR Scottish Water's compliance with the standards for drinking water last year has continued to improve with water quality... Read More >
- Major pumped storage hydro scheme planned for Isle of Lewis Plans have been unveiled for an innovative £200M water engineering project on the Isle of Lewis that will deliver a... Read More >
- Anglian Water sets sights on 'more ambitious' renewables strategy Anglian Water has said it wants a 'more ambitious' renewables strategy, as it strives for a 70 per cent reduction in... Read More >
- WWT's Water Industry Energy Conference to take place in June Water industry professionals tasked with managing and generating energy and building resilience and sustainability into... Read More >
- Round Table: Energy storage and on-site generation With battery technology advancing rapidly, participants in WWT's latest round table discussion talked about the potential... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... Carbon Footprinting Working out the carbon footprint of a project such as a drainage installation involves a number of variables, with... Read More >
- Digging Deeper: Rethinking Air Power With energy efficient aeration a priority, is it time for a rethink on the way the industry sizes its blowers? Read More >
- Comment: Decoupling water from energy use is a global priority The technology exists to achieve energy neutrality across the whole water cycle, and it should be considered a global... Read More >
- Market Operations delivery manager What are we looking for?• Innovative, challenging and dynamic leader and team player. • Experience of working in a utility network... Read more here.
- General Manager Asset Management Essential Energy Location: Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia Salary: Competitive Essential Energy is one of Australia’s largest... Read more here.
- Energy Growth Strategy Analyst National Grid’s energy network transports electricity to homes and businesses all over the UK. It’s an essential part of all our lives.... Read more here.