Factory thinking helps speed up refurbishment at Strensham WTW
Implementing factory thinking, lean engineering and collaborative planning techniques have helped Costain and design partner MWH reduce the time needed to refurbish each of 21 rapid gravity filters at Severn Trent Water's Strensham water treatment works in Worcestershire from 40 days to just 20.
The £8.6M Strensham contract is on course to be completed early next year, and is one of the first where a more standardised, systems-led engineering approach has been adopted.
Costain said temporary access platforms, manufactured off site, provided safe access into the filters during the refurbishment. These platforms also eliminated the need to build access scaffolding within each filter providing a time saving of four days per filter. The structural steelwork, pipe supports, pipework, hand-railing and flooring all come assembled as one complete unit minimising on site working at height issues.
The pipework was also pressure tested off site so, once a filter was offline, it could be quickly assembled. Once the team completed a filter, it analysed the work done and looked at how it could do the next one better.
Matt Crabtree, Costain water sector director, explained: “The site has to remain operational at all times so speed is of the essence when it comes to carrying out the work. That way, the potential for improvement is twofold – from the factory thinking and the lean collaborative planning approach.”
Crabtree added: “We’ll be looking to use these techniques on similar projects in AMP6 in order to help our customers deliver new assets more effectively.”
Chris Vice, Costain delivery manager for the project, said: “I am particularly proud of the way the supply chain and Severn Trent Water have embraced our collaborative planning approach and using lessons learned to reduce the time taken to refurbish each filter by 50%. This has enabled us to reduce the overall duration from an initial 88 weeks to the current planned 45 weeks.”
- South West Water takes surface water out of Truro's sewer network South West Water is to replace old sewers with bigger pipes in Truro city centre because the sewerage network in parts of... Read More >
- Defra announces further delay in SuDS legislation Schedule 3 of the Sustainable Drainage Systems (SuDS) legislation will not be implemented in October as previously stated... Read More >
- Costain and May Gurney announce merger plans Costain Group and May Gurney Integrated Services have announced they are planning a £178m merger. The development comes... Read More >
- Reliability engineering key to resilience As a result of the 2014 Water Act and Ofwat, water companies are increasingly studying how resilient they might be to... Read More >
- Comment: A dynamic response to change Market changes in the water industry mean that contractors must step up play a bigger and more responsible role in... Read More >
- Interview: Prof Rudi Klein, chief executive officer, SEC Group "The wait - that is the real problem," says Professor Rudi Klein on the subject of cash retentions in construction... Read More >
- Front Line: Digging Scottish Water's Shieldhall Tunnel In this month's Front Line feature we meet Tom Rushe, who is part of a team of engineers working on Scottish Water's £100M... Read More >
- Water Industry Procurement: could Brexit provide a fresh start? Could Brexit lead to a re-examination of the procurement rules which govern the water industry and other infrastructure... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.