European Commission agrees innovation deal on water reuse
The European Commission has signed an Innovation Deal with 14 regional and national partners aimed at overcoming regulatory barriers to water reuse and anaerobic membrane technology in wastewater.
The agreement is the first such Innovation Deal, which has followed from a commitment made by the EC to help innovators overcome perceived regulatory barriers and work towards better regulation. Partners to the agreement include national and regional authorities, universities, knowledge centres, innovators and end-users.
This first Innovation Deal focuses on an existing regulatory framework affecting water reuse for agricultural purposes. It will clarify how EU legislation can allow better recovery of resources from wastewater through innovation. The aim is to provide more clarity on the regulatory situation towards the end of the year. This will serve as a basis for investment decisions in the technology.
The Innovation Deal will explore solutions to overcome the perceived barriers, what the impacts and consequences of the solutions may be and which stakeholders should be involved. The Commission may decide to start follow-up actions.
It is hoped that the deal will have a significant impact on water scarce regions in Europe by opening up innovative solutions as a new source of agricultural irrigation.
Carlos Moedas, Commissioner for Research, Science and Innovation, said: "The Innovation Deals is an instrument towards a more modern and responsive administration that helps innovators facing regulatory obstacles to innovation in the existing EU legislative framework. Implementing Innovation Deals shows that we are changing as an institution, from only setting rules to being pragmatic and pro-active in helping achieve policy objectives through innovation".
Karmenu Vella, Commissioner for Environment, Maritime Affairs and Fisheries said: "This first 'Innovation Deal' on water helps in our push for a circular economy. It comes as we are about to check how European water policy is working. We want our policy to be simpler to put in place and easier to use. The Innovation Deal helps us do this".
- Thames Water picks two joint ventures for AMP6 work Two joint ventures, Agility and KCD, are to work with Thames Water in a new alliance that will deliver up to £1bn worth of... Read More >
- European first as Thames P-plant produces fertiliser Thames Water's £2M nutrient-recovery reactor, the first of its kind in Europe, is now producing sanitised fertiliser from... Read More >
- EIB funding boost for water purification in Flanders The European Investment Bank (EIB) has loaned a further 100M euros in Flemish wastewater purification company Aquafin for... Read More >
- New Sludge Conference to be part of Wastewater 2018 The UK's largest wastewater event - Wastewater 2018, organised by WWT - is set to return to Birmingham on 30th January and... Read More >
- Comment: Moving sensors from the lab to the real world Innovative sensor technologies of various materials are out there - the key now is to apply them effectively and to make... Read More >
- Innovation: The New Rock and Roll? In this feature interview we talk to Nigel Watson, Group Information Services Director at Northumbrian Water, about the... Read More >
- Comment: Networks make the world go round Real-time, 'smart' water networks have been discussed for a decade without fully taking shape, but the barriers to... Read More >
- Ending the nightmare of wet-wipe pump blockages An ingenious device developed in partnership with Scottish Water promises to reduce wastewater pump maintenance by... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.