Dunnswood WwTW upgrade completed
An £11.9M upgrade of Cumbernauld's Dunnswood Wastewater Treatment Works has been completed by Scottish Water. The project has involved a new wastewater treatment process being introduced alongside the existing system to comply with new standards for wastewater treatment, and to provide for future population growth in the area as a result of development in and around Cumbernauld.
Bill Elliot, Scottish Water’s Community Team manager for Lanarkshire, said: “We have effectively constructed a whole new wastewater treatment works alongside the existing one. This involves pumping stations, a sampling chamber, giant underground tanks, a sludge treatment and storage facility, electrical controls and maintenance of existing kit on site as well.”
A number of sustainable urban drainage scheme systems have also been introduced, with a new pond near Wardpark Industrial Estate and several more ponds on the other side of the road.
Scottish Water is investing heavily in North Lanarkshire in the 2010-15 period. Improvements totalling £87.2M are being made to water and wastewater infrastructure to enable growth in the area.
- Chinese contractor 'explores' £2bn bid for Balfour Beatty Balfour Beatty is back in the headlines with reports that a Chinese contractor is exploring a £2bn approach for the group.... Read More >
- Multimillion-funding secured to tackle UK's deteriorating water infrastructure A £3.7M investment has been announced to enable researchers from the University of Sheffield's Sheffield Water Centre,... Read More >
- ESG awarded £25M UU framework Testing, inspection and compliance services provider ESG has been awarded a £25M, seven-year framework to carry out a wide... Read More >
- Expert View: Phosphorus removal made simple With the water industry seeking efficient ways to remove phosphorus (P), the C-TECH biological process is one solution... Read More >
- Treating the Blues: Low-cost, sustainable nitrate treatment Advances in biotechnology now mean that low-cost, sustainable nitrate treatment for drinking water and wastewater is... Read More >
- MBBRs: Putting wastewater to bed Moving Bed Bioreactors (MBBRs) are the filtration method of choice for many operators looking to remove BOD, ammonia and... Read More >
- Operational Records Key for WWTPs' Long-Term Goals Good data on the performance of treatment plants is important not only for meeting quality standards in the present, but in... Read More >
- Digital engineering for the totex environment Digitalisation of the design and construction process as well as the use of intelligent piping and instrumentation... Read More >