Dunnswood WwTW upgrade completed
An £11.9M upgrade of Cumbernauld's Dunnswood Wastewater Treatment Works has been completed by Scottish Water. The project has involved a new wastewater treatment process being introduced alongside the existing system to comply with new standards for wastewater treatment, and to provide for future population growth in the area as a result of development in and around Cumbernauld.
Bill Elliot, Scottish Water’s Community Team manager for Lanarkshire, said: “We have effectively constructed a whole new wastewater treatment works alongside the existing one. This involves pumping stations, a sampling chamber, giant underground tanks, a sludge treatment and storage facility, electrical controls and maintenance of existing kit on site as well.”
A number of sustainable urban drainage scheme systems have also been introduced, with a new pond near Wardpark Industrial Estate and several more ponds on the other side of the road.
Scottish Water is investing heavily in North Lanarkshire in the 2010-15 period. Improvements totalling £87.2M are being made to water and wastewater infrastructure to enable growth in the area.
- FCC Aqualia wins Mecca wastewater contract Citizen Services Group, the water management subsidiary of FCC Aqualia, has secured a contract for the operation and... Read More >
- GE expands ultrafiltration technology portfolio with IMT takeover GE has announced it is taking over IMT Solutions, a Netherlands-based manufacturer of ultrafiltration and microfiltration... Read More >
- Saint-Gobain PAM in university challenge Students at Birmingham City University have been challenged by Saint-Gobain PAM to rethink the role of access covers and... Read More >
- Top Tips for... System Totex With Ofwat's AMP6 reforms putting Totex at the centre of the investment planning process, applying this approach at inlet... Read More >
- Gasification of Sludge: Innovation in Action Yorkshire Water's advanced thermal conversion (ATC) gasification plant at Lower Brighouse WWTW has achieved a timely... Read More >
- The Next Generation of Sludge Dewatering The established equipment for dewatering sludge all comes with various pros and cons, but technology is now evolving for the... Read More >
- Nutrient imbalance in wastewater Keeping carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus in the right ratio can be a challenge at wastewater plants, but help is at hand Read More >
- Mayflower Treatment Works: Setting Sail for New Waters South West Water's new £60M Mayflower Water Treatment Works in Plymouth is pioneering a treatment process which will take... Read More >