Dunnswood WwTW upgrade completed
An £11.9M upgrade of Cumbernauld's Dunnswood Wastewater Treatment Works has been completed by Scottish Water. The project has involved a new wastewater treatment process being introduced alongside the existing system to comply with new standards for wastewater treatment, and to provide for future population growth in the area as a result of development in and around Cumbernauld.
Bill Elliot, Scottish Water’s Community Team manager for Lanarkshire, said: “We have effectively constructed a whole new wastewater treatment works alongside the existing one. This involves pumping stations, a sampling chamber, giant underground tanks, a sludge treatment and storage facility, electrical controls and maintenance of existing kit on site as well.”
A number of sustainable urban drainage scheme systems have also been introduced, with a new pond near Wardpark Industrial Estate and several more ponds on the other side of the road.
Scottish Water is investing heavily in North Lanarkshire in the 2010-15 period. Improvements totalling £87.2M are being made to water and wastewater infrastructure to enable growth in the area.
- Welsh Water installs wind turbine at Nash WwTW Welsh Water has taken another step towards cutting its carbon footprint by starting work on a new wind turbine at its Nash... Read More >
- Camels Head STW upgrade progressing well South West Water (SWW) has revealed that work is progressing well on the £3M improvement scheme at Camels Head Sewage... Read More >
- EA's £300M Thames estuary flood defence deal goes to CH2M Hill The £300M contract for the Thames Estuary Asset Management Programme has been awarded to CH2M Hill by the Environment... Read More >
- Water treatment – when are bacteria dead? A new technique for measuring bacterial concentrations can provide valuable information about whether or not our water is... Read More >
- Peristaltic pumps prove the right dose for Welsh Water Switching from diaphragm to peristaltic pumps for chemical dosing helped Dwr Cymru Welsh Water save Opex costs while... Read More >
- Specialist microbes to remove wastewater hydrocarbons Hydrocarbons present particular difficulties when present in wastewater, but the right combination of bacteria can degrade... Read More >
- Project Focus: An innovative solution to the metaldehyde challenge The installation of CarboPlus technology at a treatment plant near Nantes in France has demonstrated the ability to hit... Read More >
- Round Table: Phosphorus Removal and Wastewater Innovation In the latest WWT round table, participants discussed the progress of innovative technologies for phosphorus removal, the... Read More >