Doosan to build huge Saudi desalination plant
Doosan Heavy Industries has signed a deal with Saudi Arabia's Saline Water Conversion Corporation (SWCC) to build the country’s largest-capacity seawater reverse osmosis desalination plant in Shuaibah, located along the country’s Red Sea coast.
Under the deal, the company will undertake engineering, procurement and construction of the construction project for the enormous plant, located 110km south of Jeddah. Once completed, the plant is expected to produce 400,000 tons of water a day, equivalent to a daily supply for 130,000 people in the western part of Saudi Arabia.
The deal has enabled Doosan to expand into the global seawater reverse osmosis desalination market.
Seokwon Yoon, Water BG Director and executive vice president of Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction, said: “We are excited to be able to extend our commitment of delivering our advanced solutions to help meet the growing demand of water and electricity in the kingdom by winning the new large-scale desalination project. Moving forward, we will continue to concentrate our efforts on expanding our presence in the global RO desalination market, which is expected to reach $4.5 billion in market size by 2020.”
The new project marks Doosan’s re-entry to the Saudi Arabian seawater desalination market for the first time in five years: it won the Ras Al Khair project in 2010, the world’s largest desalination plant to date, and the Yanbu Phase 3 seawater desalination plant project in 2012.
Last year, Doosan also won a contract to build the Fadhili combined cycle power plant, accelerating its advance into the Saudi Arabian energy market.
- Southern Water seeks customer views on hosepipe bans Southern Water is consulting its customers about how often it is acceptable to introduce hosepipe bans a drought. Read More >
- Customers back Southern's water management plans Water efficiency, water re-use and working with landowners and farmers to protect the quality of water in rivers are key... Read More >
- Southern Water plans for future droughts Southern Water has drawn up plans that will enable it to deal with a wider range of droughts that could happen in the... Read More >
- Top Tips for... System Totex With Ofwat's AMP6 reforms putting Totex at the centre of the investment planning process, applying this approach at inlet... Read More >
- Gasification of Sludge: Innovation in Action Yorkshire Water's advanced thermal conversion (ATC) gasification plant at Lower Brighouse WWTW has achieved a timely... Read More >
- The Next Generation of Sludge Dewatering The established equipment for dewatering sludge all comes with various pros and cons, but technology is now evolving for the... Read More >
- Nutrient imbalance in wastewater Keeping carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus in the right ratio can be a challenge at wastewater plants, but help is at hand Read More >
- Mayflower Treatment Works: Setting Sail for New Waters South West Water's new £60M Mayflower Water Treatment Works in Plymouth is pioneering a treatment process which will take... Read More >