Dawnus awarded Roath flood scheme
Natural Resources Wales (NRW) has appointed contractor Dawnus to carry out flood scheme construction works that will help reduce the risk of flooding for more than 400 properties in Roath, Cardiff. The scheme is due to start at the end of this month
Over 400 homes and businesses in the area are at risk of flooding from Roath Brook. The scheme will increase the level of protection for the community from 1 in 5 to a 1 in 75 chance of flooding in any given year.
The work will take place from Penylan Road, through Roath Brook Gardens, Roath Mill Gardens, Waterloo Gardens, and Railway Gardens. The scheme will include new flood walls and embankments, will widen the river channel and enhance a number of bridges to increase the brook’s flow capacity.
These features will be softened through the incorporation of urban landscaping
Tim England, flood risk manager for Natural Resources Wales, said: “Flooding can devastate people’s lives. Keeping communities safe and reducing the risk from flooding is an important role for us.”
- Miller Homes fined for silt and sediment pollution in watercourse Home building company Miller Homes has been fined £100,000 over a pollution incident that involved water containing silt... Read More >
- JV gets £23M Leeds flood protection deal The BAM Nuttall Mott Macdonald jv has been awarded a £23M contract to deliver flood protection for Leeds. The deal was... Read More >
- Water bills to rise 2% on average Water companies in England and Wales have announced an average bill increase of 2%, which will come into effect in April. Read More >
- Interview: Lawrence Gosden, MD, Wastewater, Thames Water This month we talk to Lawrence Gosden, MD for wastewater at Thames Water, about building flood resilience in London and... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with… highway pollution Pollution from urban highways, trunk roads and motorways poses significant risks to the environment from toxic metals and... Read More >
- Rainwater spin-out companies offer innovative path Researchers from the University of Exeter's Centre for Water Systems are putting the latest rainwater harvesting and SuDS... Read More >
- Project Focus: Anglian Water uses mapping tool for retrofit SuDS As part of its plans to shape and develop its surface water management strategy, Anglian Water has been working with a... Read More >
- Digging Deeper: Making the case for resilience Building resilience requires water utilities to have a clear and systematic understanding of risk across their business,... Read More >
- Head of Tendering & Design Salary Range: Commensurate with roleThe Tendering & Design Department plays a critical role in turning customer enquiries in to fully costed... Read more here.
- Head of Operations Salary Range: Commensurate with role Head of Operations: The Head of Operations will be responsible for the successful day to day delivery... Read more here.
- Deputy Directors – multiple roles The Office of Rail and Road (ORR) is the independent economic and safety regulator for Britain’s railways, overseeing an industry that carried... Read more here.