Dawnus awarded Roath flood scheme
Natural Resources Wales (NRW) has appointed contractor Dawnus to carry out flood scheme construction works that will help reduce the risk of flooding for more than 400 properties in Roath, Cardiff. The scheme is due to start at the end of this month
Over 400 homes and businesses in the area are at risk of flooding from Roath Brook. The scheme will increase the level of protection for the community from 1 in 5 to a 1 in 75 chance of flooding in any given year.
The work will take place from Penylan Road, through Roath Brook Gardens, Roath Mill Gardens, Waterloo Gardens, and Railway Gardens. The scheme will include new flood walls and embankments, will widen the river channel and enhance a number of bridges to increase the brook’s flow capacity.
These features will be softened through the incorporation of urban landscaping
Tim England, flood risk manager for Natural Resources Wales, said: “Flooding can devastate people’s lives. Keeping communities safe and reducing the risk from flooding is an important role for us.”
- New Irish Water deal for Veolia Ireland Optimised resource management company Veolia has secured a new contract with Irish Water for works on Ireland's largest... Read More >
- NI Water gives Ballystockart Pumping Main an upgrade NI Water is to upgrade the old Ballystockart Pumping Main in Comber as part of its £2M Wastewater Pumping Stations Upgrade... Read More >
- Closest pass ever as Crossrail TBM encounters sewer A unique civil engineering project took place earlier this year when London's Ham sewer needed protection from the... Read More >
- Project Focus: Anglian Water uses mapping tool for retrofit SuDS As part of its plans to shape and develop its surface water management strategy, Anglian Water has been working with a... Read More >
- Digging Deeper: Making the case for resilience Building resilience requires water utilities to have a clear and systematic understanding of risk across their business,... Read More >
- Comment: Sustainable ways to prevent flooding With traditional methods of removing floodwater no longer fit for purpose, it's time to find out whether sustainable... Read More >
- Project Focus: Smart flood alleviation system protects Portsmouth A smart hydrometereological system was installed to monitor flood risk in the south coast city, with real-time sewer level... Read More >
- Project Focus: Canals provide capacity for 21st Century flood protection A 19km stretch of canal near Glasgow is to be given a stormwater drainage role, in an innovative project which... Read More >
- Divisional Operations Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.
- Project Manager (Electrical & Instrumentation) SGN operates over 74,000km of gas mains and services in Scotland and the south of England. Whoever your supplier is, we have a responsibility... Read more here.