Costain to go tunnelling in £34M UU sewer overflow project
Costain is to carry out a £34M tunnelling project for United Utilities (UU) to help improve sewer overflows in Manchester. The completed project will form part of the Manchester unsatisfactory intermittent discharge (UID) strategy, helping improve water quality in the Manchester Ship Canal.
The 1.8km-long tunnels, which are concrete lined at 2.1m and 2.85m internal diameters, are part of UU's scheme to clean up the Salteye Brook in Salford.
UIDs occur when the sewer network overflows to a watercourse when the system is overloaded, and the tunnels are designed to help prevent this by providing adequate storage capacity during heavy storms.
The tunnel route will begin at a location next to J11 of the M60, passing below and then parallel to the motorway and on into the Eccles wastewater treatment works. The tunnel alignment then heads under the M60 Barton High Level Bridge parallel with the Manchester Ship Canal, then past the Salford City Reds rugby stadium to a new outfall structure at the Port Salford Locks.
Work is expected to begin on the project in early 2015, with the construction of deep shafts and the tunnelling will commence Spring 2015, with an anticipated finish a year later.
While tunnelling is underway, work will begin on a complex outfall structure adjacent to Port Salford Locks on the Manchester Ship Canal. This part of the scheme is expected to be complete in Summer 2016.
The contract also includes M&E packages.
Matt Crabtree, Costain water sector director, said: “The route crosses below the M60 motorway on and off slip-roads and the main carriageway at junction 11. It then crosses below the M60 Barton piers, narrowly avoiding raking piles from the bridge pier structures. We will continuously use the latest survey monitoring technology in real time to monitor bridge and highway structure movement before, during and after the TBM [tunnel boring machine] completes its journey.
“In order to ensure that there is minimal impacts to the sensitive Highways Agency structures, a large team of tunnel engineers will be working around the clock to ensure the project is completed successfully.”
- Moody's downgrades Thames Water over Tideway Tunnel Thames Water Utilities' outlook has been lowered from stable to negative on the Baa1 corporate family rating by Moody's... Read More >
- CECA seeks look at post-Brexit infrastructure procurement impact The Civil Engineering Contractors Association (CECA) is urging the government to take a fresh look at the impact that... Read More >
- Scottish Water opens social media channels Scottish Water has opened a number of new community-focused social media channels to help keep customers informed about... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... sewer jetting Jetting is an important tool for clearing sewer blockages, but care must be taken to use the right pressure for the pipe... Read More >
- Fats, oil and grease need clear thinking Latest research from Cranfield has shone a light on the characteristics of of fats, oil and grease (FOG) droplets entering... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... Ice Pigging An innovative method of cleaning pipes, ice pigging is now being seen as a viable option for wastewater as well as clean... Read More >
- Interview: Professor Dragan Savic, Exeter University "If you can't measure, you can't manage - and the most uncertain element of water management is the demand." Read More >
- Interview: Rachel Dyson, Programme Manager, Anglian Water “We have been quiet as an industry on wet wipes, but now we are being vocal, because of the problems they are causing.” Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.