C2V+ wins £70M Morecambe wastewater treatment upgrade deal
C2V+, the joint venture between CH2M and VolkerStevin, has been awarded a contract to carry out major improvements as part of United Utilities' (UU) £70M wastewater treatment system upgrade within the Morecambe Bay catchment.
The upgrade work is required to comply with tighter regulation standards within Morecambe Bay set by the Environment Agency, which will be imposed from 2019. The work will help increase flow capacity to cater for future growth and development, reduce the number of stormwater spills per bathing season from Schola Green, and improve the quality of treated effluent from Morecambe WwTW, utilising the latest treatment process technology known as Nereda.
In order to comply with these standards, C2V+ will complete major works at the as Schola Green Wastewater Pumping Station (WwPS) within the town. In addition, a major upgrade is required at Morecambe Wastewater Treatment Works (WwTW), situated near the village of Middleton.
Richard Towse, board member for C2V+, said: “We are delighted to be awarded this vital project. Using our skilled teams, we will deliver these improvements in close consultation with the local community and will use innovative techniques to minimise inconvenience and deliver high quality wastewater treatment.”
The scope of work includes four main elements:
- The construction of two new stormwater storage tanks at Schola Green WwPS
- The installation of a new pumped pipeline between Schola Green and Morecambe (Middleton)
- Replacement and full upgrade of the treatment process using the Nereda technology
- Upsizing of the land-section of the existing outfall pipeline from Morecambe (Middleton).
Works to the new pumped sewer will cross underneath the railway line adjacent to the Schola Green site, run around Morecambe Football Club, then along Westcliffe Drive before passing through fields to the treatment works’ site.
The project will be delivered through UU’s AMP6 CDP framework, started in March 2017, with completion scheduled for 2020.
- Petition calls for parliamentary inquiry into 'crypto' contamination A petition calling for a parliamentary inquiry into the cryptosporidium contamination, which has affected parts of... Read More >
- UU safeguards metering jobs Around 400 jobs have been safeguarded after United Utilities (UU) stepped in when Daniel Contractors went into... Read More >
- Aquabio to supply wastewater treatment plant for distillery Aquabio is supplying 'a cutting edge' wastewater treatment plant for Chivas Brothers' The Glenlivet distillery in Moray.... Read More >
- Reliability engineering key to resilience As a result of the 2014 Water Act and Ofwat, water companies are increasingly studying how resilient they might be to... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... site security The current threat level for international terrorism in the UK is classed as ‘severe', and damage or destruction to... Read More >
- Tanks need a spot of TLC Proper maintenance of tanks is key to ensure their long and productive life, while refurbishment can give a new lease of... Read More >
- Fundamental Equations Alec Erskine explores how some key equations can assist with the business of asset management in water Read More >
- Yorkshire Water's decision-making uses ‘five capitals’ approach Yorkshire Water has developed a new decision-making framework for PR19 which quantifies natural and social factors Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.