Bespoke pH adjustment system used at Midlands reservoir
A bespoke pH adjustment system has been used to treat 46 megalitres of alkaline water created by a large-scale upgrade project at a Midlands reservoir.
Severn Trent Water’s Ambergate Reservoir serves customers throughout the East Midlands, but with much of its infrastructure dating back over 100 years it is approaching the end of its design life. As a result, a major four-year upgrade is currently underway.
Part of the upgrade work entailed filling chambers in the newly constructed reservoir with highly alkaline (pH11) lime water to induce crystal formation within the fine cracks that occurred during the curing of the concrete structure.
The Laing O’Rourke/ NMC joint venture team working on the project approached process solutions experts Siltbuster to create a system capable of treating the extremely large volume of water used.
The bespoke containerised pH adjustment system created by the company was used to treat 46 mega litres (46,000 m3) of alkaline water at rates of up to 750m3 per hour and cleaned to the highest standards, enabling it to be discharged into a nearby surface watercourse.
With limited space on site and tankering of the water off-site not an option, Siltbuster created a bespoke system designed to take a side stream of the 400m3 per hour water and saturate it with CO2 to neutralise the pH. Under pressure, the fully saturated water was injected back into the mainstream of water allowing the full 400m3 per hour to be neutralised before being discharged. The system was recorded as treating circa 740m3 per hour of the high pH waters, which significantly reduced overall dewatering time.
Tristan Hughes, Siltbuster’s Regional Sales Engineer, said: “Creating bespoke systems to address specific issues is a core part of what we deliver for our customers. This project involved the treatment of extreme flow rates so we had to build a system able to cope efficiently and effectively with a very high volume of water. We successfully achieved that while also delivering environmental and commercial benefits.”
- Water and sewerage construction to grow, says CPA forecast The Construction Products Association's (CPA) new summer forecast released today expects the construction industry to grow... Read More >
- Skanska announces management changes to 'sustain its momentum' Skanska UK has announced several new executive and senior management changes in order to maintain the solid business... Read More >
- Irish Republic's Water Services Act becomes law The Water Services (No.2) Act 2013 to establish a new national water utility as a state-owned subsidiary within Bord Gáis... Read More >
- New Sludge Conference to be part of Wastewater 2018 The UK's largest wastewater event - Wastewater 2018, organised by WWT - is set to return to Birmingham on 30th January and... Read More >
- SMART-Plant points way to circular economy European wastewater experts have worked together to open seven pilot plants which demonstrate technologies which could... Read More >
- Odour control: Going Undercover Thames Water is using a combination of covers, air filtering technology and monitoring in order to ensure it meets... Read More >
- Biological odour control in wastewater treatment plants When odour issues threaten to impact on the operations and reputation of wastewater utilities, bacterial treatments can hold... Read More >
- Comment: Sludge all set for reform The opening of the bioresources market presents water companies with an opportunity to do things differently, but what... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.