Bedford Pumps to supply Thames Coppermills project
Bedford Pumps has been awarded a contract to supply high lift pumps to Thames Water for its Coppermills Advanced Water Treatment Works (AWTW).
Coppermills AWTW is one of Thames Water’s network of sites providing drinking water for London. The raw water is abstracted from the Lea flood relief channel and the New River and then stored in twelve reservoirs which feed the treatment works. Following treatment the potable water is pumped into supply by the high lift pumping station at Coppermills AWTW.
The existing pumps at Coppermills AWTW were installed when the station was constructed back in the 1960s. Bedford Pumps will initially supply two new high lift clean water pumps to supplement the existing old pumps. This will ensure a more reliable, high efficiency process.
Bedford Pumps will work with SMBJV, (Skanska, MWH & Balfour Beatty Joint Venture) to supply a pair of Two-Stage Suspended Mixed Flow Bowl Pumpsets which will be installed in a vertical dry well suspended arrangement in order to fit into the existing tight space with access to the motors outdoors at ground level.
The pumps will each deliver a flow of 1,053 litres per second at 53m head via 3.3kV 800 kW variable speed motors.
This is not the first pumping solution that Bedford Pumps has delivered for the Coppermills site. In 2009 Bedford installed submersible bowl transfer pumps and a tunnel drainage pump at Coppermills WTW to facilitate a “dual pumping process” between Coppermills and the Thames Water Ring Main (TWRM). This was part of the £150M TWRM project, which involved tunnelling around London linking transfer pump shafts with water treatment works and pumping stations along the route.
Thames Water has a large existing installed base of Bedford Pumps products performing both clean water and wastewater duties.
- Thames Water steps up fight on FOG Thames Water has launched a campaign to encourage food outlets to effectively manage waste fats, oils and grease (FOG). Read More >
- Health and safety drones a gamechanger, says Thames Using a new fleet of drones for inspecting large equipment will be a ‘gamechanger' for Thames Water’s health and safety... Read More >
- Acoustic sewer innovation wins national utilities prize Ground-breaking technology which detects sewer blockages using acoustic pulses has won the Innovation of the Year award... Read More >
- Archimedes screw pumps boost infrastructure in Mansfield Archimedes screw pumps may work on a centuries-old design but they are still the most efficient way of lifting water over... Read More >
- Comment: Brexit and the pump industry Exiting the European Community and dismantling our ties to EU Laws, via the Government's introduction of the Great Repeal... Read More >
- Round Table: Pumps and energy Performance monitoring supported by technology and condition-based maintenance are two of the key factors in optimising... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with… dosing pumps Dosing pumps are mission critical appliances that must operate reliably and efficiently, as the success of processes such... Read More >
- Ending the nightmare of wet-wipe pump blockages An ingenious device developed in partnership with Scottish Water promises to reduce wastewater pump maintenance by... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.