Bedford Pumps awarded key Thames Water contracts
Bedford Pumps Ltd, a UK manufacturer of large submersible and conventional pumps to the water, wastewater and land drainage industries, has landed two key contracts for Thames Water.
Hampton and Kempton Water Treatment Works (WTW) are key Thames Water sites for the supply of potable water to London residences.
Both sites were without a permanent recirculation system for bed conditioning of their slow sand filters (SSF), with the beds currently drained using mobile diesel pumps and flexible hoses.
Installation of a permanent recirculation system provided significant technical challenges for acceptable pump operation, particularly in achieving suitable pump inlet conditions due to the limited space available for the pump installation and the flow rates required.
Bedford Pumps secured both contracts with Thames Water by providing technical support and guidance on the design of the pump inlet chambers, which enabled suitable inlet flow conditions for stable pump operation to be achieved. A canister, specially designed by Bedford Pumps, plus a unique benching arrangement from hydraulic model testing consultants, Hydrotec Ltd, was key to the success of this project.
Bedford Pumps is to supply 16 dedicated WRAS/DWI-approved vertically mounted submersible canister pumpsets, to provide a permanent water recirculation system for the SSF beds at Hampton and Kempton WTW.
- CCWater ensures ‘robust' complaints process for Thames Tideway The Consumer Council for Water (CCWater) is working with Thames Water on a “sound and robust” complaints procedure for... Read More >
- Thames uses mobile soil recycling unit for pipe projects A state-of-the-art mobile recycling unit is playing a vital part in Thames Water's ongoing project to repair and restore... Read More >
- FLI Water secures Thames Water filtration deal FLI Water has been awarded a contract from Thames Water for the supply of filtration equipment and maintenance. Read More >
- Pump maintenance: keeping it pumping Maintaining pumps in top condition is a vital consideration in the totex equation for pumping assets, and water utilities... Read More >
- Why do motors fail? Pump motors can run for half a century if they are properly maintained, writes Dave Hawley Read More >
- Becoming a smart pump buyer When specifying a new pumping system, asset owners need to be able to answer key questions about their requirements,... Read More >
- Dewatering pump maintenance: Keep moving Maintaining your dewatering pumps goes a long way, writes Joe Moser, pump product manager, Atlas Copco Construction... Read More >
- Offsite build for Affinity pumping station Taking a pioneering new approach to a borehole pumping station upgrade in Essex, Affinity Water minimised asset downtime... Read More >