Atkins receives £2.1bn bid approach from Canada's SNC-Lavalin
Consultant group Atkins has confirmed it has received a bid approach from Canadian engineering and construction organisation SNC-Lavalin. The proposed offer of £20.80 a share values Atkins at almost £2.1bn.
WS Atkins said it had indicated that the possible offer was at a level it would be prepared to recommend, subject to reaching an agreement on other terms and conditions. The two groups are in talks on these other terms of the offer, and SNC-Lavalin has until May 1, 2017 in which to either make a firm offer for WS Atkins or walk away.
The talks come two months after Atkins was approach by US engineering consultant CH2M over the possibility of a multimillion-pound merger.
SNC-Lavalin said the making of any firm offer would be subject to the satisfaction of a number of pre-conditions, and there can be no certainty that any firm offer will be made.
However, the company said that if the transaction was to proceed it is currently contemplated that up to CAD$1.9bn (£1.1bn) will come from Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ) in the form of $400M (£240M) in equity and a $1.5bn (£0.9bn) non-recourse loan secured by the value and cashflows of SNC-Lavalin’s interest in Highway 407.
SNC-Lavalin operates in four industry sectors: oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power.
- Irish Water gets planning permission for new water pipeline Irish Water has been granted planning permission by Wicklow County Council to construct a new water pipeline and... Read More >
- Welsh Water uses drones to survey assets Welsh Water has begun using drones to help monitor and inspect assets. A successful pilot project has been completed in... Read More >
- Alcoa enters global wetland treatment market A wetland-based treatment technology, developed by US aluminium producer Alcoa, is going global after a licence was agreed... Read More >
- Reliability engineering key to resilience As a result of the 2014 Water Act and Ofwat, water companies are increasingly studying how resilient they might be to... Read More >
- Comment: A dynamic response to change Market changes in the water industry mean that contractors must step up play a bigger and more responsible role in... Read More >
- Interview: Prof Rudi Klein, chief executive officer, SEC Group "The wait - that is the real problem," says Professor Rudi Klein on the subject of cash retentions in construction... Read More >
- Front Line: Digging Scottish Water's Shieldhall Tunnel In this month's Front Line feature we meet Tom Rushe, who is part of a team of engineers working on Scottish Water's £100M... Read More >
- Water Industry Procurement: could Brexit provide a fresh start? Could Brexit lead to a re-examination of the procurement rules which govern the water industry and other infrastructure... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.