Anglian Water begins multi-million Ipswich mains project
Anglian Water has started work on a £3.4M project to replace and improve a large stretch of water main in the Belstead area of Ipswich.
The scheme is one of the largest and most complex investment projects the water company will undertake in Suffolk in 2017, with around 14km of water pipe to be replaced. The scheme is due to be completed by the end of the summer 2018.
Mark Pryke, Anglian Water’s Network Manager for Suffolk, said: “Historically, there have been problems in the area with customers noticing discoloration of the water and while we’ve been keeping a close eye on it and taking steps to manage it, we’ve moved as quickly as possible to get this scheme underway. It’s been a large scheme in the planning, and we’re pleased to be starting this permanent solution for our customers.”
The discoloration has been caused by a build-up of iron sediment in the pipes, and Anglian Water has been regularly flushing the pipes to prevent a repeat of the issue. However, the existing pipework has reached the end of its life and now needs to be replaced.
Work begins today (Tuesday 18 April) on Mallard Way, from Tern Road to Stone Lodge Lane West, with further work along Belstead Road, Luther Road, Stoke Park Drive and Fountains Road scheduled to begin early in May.
“We’ll be using advanced main-laying techniques wherever the ground conditions allow keeping disruption to a minimum for customers,” added Pryke. “In some places we may need to dig trenches, but we can also use slip-lining and boring techniques that go underground like a mole, meaning the road surface doesn’t need to be disrupted. Where we can do this we will.
“Work will move around the Belstead area over the next year. Some lane and road closures may be needed for safety reasons but this will not be done without plenty of notice and access will be maintained for residents and emergency vehicles.
“Inevitably, with a project work of this scale there may be some disruption to residents and road users, and we apologise for this. However, we hope that people understand how important this work is and that the benefits of this work will outweigh any temporary inconvenience."
- UU issues boil water notice following Buckton Castle WTW technical fault A boil water notice remains in place for thousands of properties in parts of Tameside and Saddleworth as United Utilities... Read More >
- Clacton coast protection scheme completed ahead of schedule Mott MacDonald has announced that the £36M Clacton and Holland-on-Sea coast protection scheme in Essex has been completed... Read More >
- FLI Water selected for Anglian MEICA framework FLI Water has been selected as a MEICA partner on Anglian Water's framework, working with Anglian Water and the @One and... Read More >
- Project Focus: Going with the flow in the Elan Valley The first of three tunnel diversions has recently been completed as part of the £300M Severn Trent project to renovate the... Read More >
- National pride of top tappers Drilling and Tapping teams from America and the Netherlands are gearing up to take part in the World Water Cup in... Read More >
- Comment: A Totex Journey The move to outcomes and Totex-Based Regulation in AMP6 should mean water companies and contractors involving suppliers ... Read More >
- Valves and flow control: Pressure Points Building a smarter network need not be expensive - a first step is to establish a calm pressure profile, writes Craig... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... Ice Pigging An innovative method of cleaning pipes, ice pigging is now being seen as a viable option for wastewater as well as clean... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Starting salary: Grade SF £30,767 - £41,226 Job description: Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Repair and maintenance ganger (team leader) Taunton Location: Taunton Starting salary: Dependent on experience and training certificates, plus standby allowance and call out Package: 45... Read more here.
- Repair and maintenance ganger (team leader) Yeovil Location: Yeovil Starting salary: 26,520 - 28,560 salary dependent on experience and training certificates, plus standby allowance and call... Read more here.
- Repair and maintenance ganger (team leader) Cossington Location: Cossington Starting salary: £26,520 - £28,560 salary dependent on experience and training certificates, plus standby allowance... Read more here.