Aircraft lasers used to map sewer flood risk in Anglian region
Wastewater consultancy RPS has used aircraft-mounted laser scanners provided by Bluesky to create an accurate sewer flood risk map of the Anglian Water region.
The highly accurate 3D digital map showing land elevation has been created using LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) data collected by Bluesky’s aircraft mounted laser sensors. The region-wide study of sewer flood risk, at property level, will allow Anglian Water to assess the impact of future changes, such as climate change, growth and urban creep.
“The Bluesky data has been used to complete the catchment coverage for approximately 60 percent of the entire Anglian Water drainage area relating to the sewer network,” said Alastair Gorst, Team Leader at RPS. “While flooding from sewers is a rare occurrence, more extreme weather events, aging infrastructure and a growing demand on the network can all contribute to incidents. It is therefore essential that we understand the risk, and, through the use of high quality data such as the Bluesky LiDAR, model potential impacts.”
The project, currently in its preliminary stages, originally considered a lower, coarser point density Digital Terrain Model (DTM) to complete cover of the study region, but RPS concluded that this represented a significant increase in risk. The Bluesky LiDAR was tested for a specific catchment area, and the assessment outcomes were found to be significantly improved compared with other data sources. Complementing data from other sources, including Environment Agency LiDAR, the Bluesky data is now RPS’s preferred solution.
The Bluesky LiDAR data is being used by RPS to undertake assessments of overland flood risk from the sewer network. Using InfoWorks ICM (Integrated Catchment Modelling) software, RPS can model both above and below ground elements of catchment to accurately represent and simulate sources of flooding and flow paths, to assess a variety of events and scenarios to understand the potential impact.
RPS has worked with Anglian Water for a number of years, securing the first fully integrated wastewater modelling framework. RPS supplies support and consultancy services for modelling, flow and asset surveys and, using the Bluesky LiDAR data, will assist in the creation of 100 percent model coverage for the Anglian Water region.
Bluesky is a specialist in aerial survey including aerial photography, LiDAR and thermal data; it has worked with organisations such as Google, the BBC and government agencies.
- Anglian signs landmark supply deal with hotel chain Anglian Water Business (AWB) has signed a landmark multi-site deal with Malmaison and Hotel du Vin to supply water across... Read More >
- Anglian Water steps up drone leakage trial Anglian Water is extending a trial of the use of thermal imaging drones to detect leaking water pipes. Read More >
- Welsh government to spend £32M on protecting 2.1K homes from flood risk The Welsh Assembly has announced capital funding of £32M to reduce the risk from flooding to more than 2,100 homes and... Read More >
- Round Table: Digital Transformation and Operational Efficiency A digital transformation is taking place in the UK water sector, but the process is more about incremental steps than the... Read More >
- WWT presents Smart Water Networks conference 2018 With PR19 on the horizon and growing pressure on water companies to do more with less, smart systems and technology are... Read More >
- Data science - putting it all together It's only when different data sources are pooled and cross-correlated that the full power of IoT analytics and artificial... Read More >
- Comment: The Rise of the Digital Engineer As data gathering and analytics tools proliferate across water companies' operations, systems integration -... Read More >
- Top Tips for... cyber security The threat of Cybercrime to the water industry, just as with all other major sectors within the UK economy, is increasing... Read More >