Aircraft lasers used to map sewer flood risk in Anglian region
Wastewater consultancy RPS has used aircraft-mounted laser scanners provided by Bluesky to create an accurate sewer flood risk map of the Anglian Water region.
The highly accurate 3D digital map showing land elevation has been created using LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) data collected by Bluesky’s aircraft mounted laser sensors. The region-wide study of sewer flood risk, at property level, will allow Anglian Water to assess the impact of future changes, such as climate change, growth and urban creep.
“The Bluesky data has been used to complete the catchment coverage for approximately 60 percent of the entire Anglian Water drainage area relating to the sewer network,” said Alastair Gorst, Team Leader at RPS. “While flooding from sewers is a rare occurrence, more extreme weather events, aging infrastructure and a growing demand on the network can all contribute to incidents. It is therefore essential that we understand the risk, and, through the use of high quality data such as the Bluesky LiDAR, model potential impacts.”
The project, currently in its preliminary stages, originally considered a lower, coarser point density Digital Terrain Model (DTM) to complete cover of the study region, but RPS concluded that this represented a significant increase in risk. The Bluesky LiDAR was tested for a specific catchment area, and the assessment outcomes were found to be significantly improved compared with other data sources. Complementing data from other sources, including Environment Agency LiDAR, the Bluesky data is now RPS’s preferred solution.
The Bluesky LiDAR data is being used by RPS to undertake assessments of overland flood risk from the sewer network. Using InfoWorks ICM (Integrated Catchment Modelling) software, RPS can model both above and below ground elements of catchment to accurately represent and simulate sources of flooding and flow paths, to assess a variety of events and scenarios to understand the potential impact.
RPS has worked with Anglian Water for a number of years, securing the first fully integrated wastewater modelling framework. RPS supplies support and consultancy services for modelling, flow and asset surveys and, using the Bluesky LiDAR data, will assist in the creation of 100 percent model coverage for the Anglian Water region.
Bluesky is a specialist in aerial survey including aerial photography, LiDAR and thermal data; it has worked with organisations such as Google, the BBC and government agencies.
- Metaldehyde treatment would cost £600M, warns Anglian Anglian Water has warned that the cost of setting up treatment to remove metaldehyde - a pesticide found in slug pellets -... Read More >
- House of Lords urged to mitigate flood risk in Housing Bill Leading civil engineers, environmental scientists, water experts, water companies and architects are lobbying the House of... Read More >
- Anglian Water puts £3M into Clacton coastal defence scheme Anglian Water has agreed to put £3M into a major coastal protection scheme in Clacton, Essex, as part of a drive to fund... Read More >
- Comment: The Rise of the Digital Engineer As data gathering and analytics tools proliferate across water companies' operations, systems integration -... Read More >
- Top Tips for... cyber security The threat of Cybercrime to the water industry, just as with all other major sectors within the UK economy, is increasing... Read More >
- Comment: The vast potential of machine learning and data Recent efforts to use machine learning to predict bursts and leakage illustrate how the collaborative use of data could... Read More >
- Comment: Networks make the world go round Real-time, 'smart' water networks have been discussed for a decade without fully taking shape, but the barriers to... Read More >
- Top tips for... analyser maintenance Keeping continuous water analysers well maintained is vital to ensure you can rely on the information they provide, writes... Read More >
- Head of Tendering & Design Salary Range: Commensurate with roleThe Tendering & Design Department plays a critical role in turning customer enquiries in to fully costed... Read more here.
- Head of Operations Salary Range: Commensurate with role Head of Operations: The Head of Operations will be responsible for the successful day to day delivery... Read more here.
- Waste Water Network Manager c. £42,000 depending on skills and experience An exciting opportunity has arisen for the role of Wastewater Network Manager within the Asset... Read more here.
- Deputy Directors – multiple roles The Office of Rail and Road (ORR) is the independent economic and safety regulator for Britain’s railways, overseeing an industry that carried... Read more here.