Advanced Water Purification Project could be expanded in California
Padre Dam Municipal Water District (PDMWD) is working with Helix Water District, the City of El Cajon and the County of San Diego to study the feasibility of developing an expanded East County Advanced Water Purification Program. The study focuses on the possibility of expanding Padre Dam's proposed Advanced Water Purification Project to accommodate and treat wastewater from the other agencies' service areas in order to provide a new drought proof water supply.
This expanded program could produce up to 10 million gallons of water a day.
News of the study comes as Padre Dam has opened its Advanced Water Purification Demonstration Facility and tour programme. The demonstration facility features advanced water purification technologies to purify and test about 100,000 gallons of recycled water a day.
Allen Carlisle, CEO and general manager of Padre Dam, said: “California’s severe drought brings into focus the importance of Padre Dam’s efforts to develop a local water supply with our Advanced Water Purification Project. The Grand Opening of our demonstration facility could not have come at a more appropriate time - on the heels of the lowest recorded snowpack in California’s history. The full scale Advanced Water Purification Project has the potential to provide a reliable, drought-proof water source that is up to 20% of Padre Dam’s current drinking water supply."
During the Demonstration Project, Padre Dam’s Advanced Water Purification Demonstration Facility will take recycled water through four advanced water treatment steps - free chlorine disinfection, membrane filtration, reverse osmosis and advanced oxidation (ultraviolet light and hydrogen peroxide). Currently, the demonstration facility will produce 100,000 gallons of purified water daily.
Biwater provided a complete turnkey design, and supplied and commissioned all process, mechanical, electrical and control components for the project.
The water will be vigorously tested to ensure it meets the high quality water standards of the State Water Resources Control Board’s Division of Drinking Water’s stringent public health objectives.
If the demonstration facility is deemed successful and the project moves forward, the water would be injected into the Santee groundwater basin, withdrawn and treated again prior to distribution as drinking water.
- Yorkshire Water targets pollution hot spots to prevent sewer blockages Yorkshire Water has declared war on sewage pollution with plans to test a new technique in "hot-spot locations".... Read More >
- Water HQ switches to sunshine South West Water (SWW) has completed the installation of solar panels on the roof of its Exeter headquarters. The work to... Read More >
- Irish Water seeks planning permission for upgrade project Irish Water is preparing to lodge a planning application to upgrade the existing water treatment facility at... Read More >
- Top Tips for... System Totex With Ofwat's AMP6 reforms putting Totex at the centre of the investment planning process, applying this approach at inlet... Read More >
- Gasification of Sludge: Innovation in Action Yorkshire Water's advanced thermal conversion (ATC) gasification plant at Lower Brighouse WWTW has achieved a timely... Read More >
- The Next Generation of Sludge Dewatering The established equipment for dewatering sludge all comes with various pros and cons, but technology is now evolving for the... Read More >
- Nutrient imbalance in wastewater Keeping carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus in the right ratio can be a challenge at wastewater plants, but help is at hand Read More >
- Mayflower Treatment Works: Setting Sail for New Waters South West Water's new £60M Mayflower Water Treatment Works in Plymouth is pioneering a treatment process which will take... Read More >
- Head of Tendering & Design Salary Range: Commensurate with roleThe Tendering & Design Department plays a critical role in turning customer enquiries in to fully costed... Read more here.
- Head of Operations Salary Range: Commensurate with role Head of Operations: The Head of Operations will be responsible for the successful day to day delivery... Read more here.
- Deputy Directors – multiple roles The Office of Rail and Road (ORR) is the independent economic and safety regulator for Britain’s railways, overseeing an industry that carried... Read more here.