ABB and Sulzer in equipment servicing deal
ABB has agreed a deal with Sulzer Electro Mechanical Services UK (Ltd) which will see the latter providing workshop repair and maintenance services for its large motors and generators.
Sulzer has been named a ‘loyalty partner’ of ABB, meaning that users of ABB’s 6.6 kV and above medium and high voltage motors and generators will be able to benefit from the skills and facilities of Sulzer’s workshops in Birmingham and Falkirk. Sulzer offers inspection, remedial work, modification, repair and rewind of ABB large machines, together with some field services.
Sulzer’s abilities include rebalancing of machines, motor rewinds, rotor repairs and manufacture of high voltage coils. Bringing these skills closer to ABB’s UK customers will cut lead times for repairs and reduce costs.
The Loyalty Partner programme creates a network of local service partnerships to complement ABB’s own field services and regional service centres.
Peter Wright, field service product manager for ABB motors and generators, comments: “The aim is to create a complete value chain for ABB clients. This will strengthen our joint position as collaboration through the Loyalty Partnership brings faster response and advanced service solutions closer to our local markets.”
Sulzer was appointed following its successful completion of an appraisal procedure that all prospective ABB partners must pass. This assessed competence, quality and the company’s ability to comply with ABB’s exacting standards.
“Although we considered several high quality candidates for this partnering role, our global alliance with Sulzer and its strong local relationship with the pump business made it an obvious choice,” says Wright.
“The agreement with Sulzer means our customers get more service options in collaboration with ABB without compromising on quality.”
Among the field services that could be offered through Sulzer are ABB’s Life Expectancy Analysis Program (LEAP) and MACHsense. LEAP offers a range of inspection services that optimise maintenance planning for electrical machines and predicts the remaining lifetime of the stator Insulation system. It helps extend machine lifetime and minimizes downtime.
MACHsense is a condition monitoring service for electric motors that provides a warning of impending defects. As an early warning system, it provides time to plan maintenance and reduces unplanned shutdowns.
- Scottish Water, CENSIS and Strathclyde uni in asset monitoring scheme Scottish Water is collaborating with the University of Strathclyde and new innovation centre CENSIS on a project that... Read More >
- ABB wins new framework with Thames Water ABB Measurement & Analytics has won a new multi-million pound framework agreement with Thames Water to supply... Read More >
- MBR technology to reduce energy costs for Nevada treatment plant GE has supplied its high-performance LEAPmbr membrane bioreactor (MBR) technology for an upgrade to the North Las Vegas... Read More >
- Interview: Professor Dragan Savic, Exeter University "If you can't measure, you can't manage - and the most uncertain element of water management is the demand." Read More >
- Front Line: Jane Mellor, Head of Operational Procurement, NI Water In this month's Front Line feature we meet Jane Mellor, who heads the operational procurement team at Northern Ireland... Read More >
- Team effort saves time How innovation and collaboration knocked weeks off timescales on Severn Trent's Little Eaton WTW upgrade Read More >
- Comment: Waterworks fit for the 21st century In recent years, the focus of the UK's water industry has shifted from building new sophisticated water works to upgrading... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... harmonic distortion Harmonic distortion can be difficult to diagnose, but once found, it is relatively easy to remedy Read More >
- Market Operations delivery manager What are we looking for?• Innovative, challenging and dynamic leader and team player. • Experience of working in a utility network... Read more here.
- General Manager Asset Management Essential Energy Location: Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia Salary: Competitive Essential Energy is one of Australia’s largest... Read more here.
- Energy Growth Strategy Analyst National Grid’s energy network transports electricity to homes and businesses all over the UK. It’s an essential part of all our lives.... Read more here.