ABB and Sulzer in equipment servicing deal
ABB has agreed a deal with Sulzer Electro Mechanical Services UK (Ltd) which will see the latter providing workshop repair and maintenance services for its large motors and generators.
Sulzer has been named a ‘loyalty partner’ of ABB, meaning that users of ABB’s 6.6 kV and above medium and high voltage motors and generators will be able to benefit from the skills and facilities of Sulzer’s workshops in Birmingham and Falkirk. Sulzer offers inspection, remedial work, modification, repair and rewind of ABB large machines, together with some field services.
Sulzer’s abilities include rebalancing of machines, motor rewinds, rotor repairs and manufacture of high voltage coils. Bringing these skills closer to ABB’s UK customers will cut lead times for repairs and reduce costs.
The Loyalty Partner programme creates a network of local service partnerships to complement ABB’s own field services and regional service centres.
Peter Wright, field service product manager for ABB motors and generators, comments: “The aim is to create a complete value chain for ABB clients. This will strengthen our joint position as collaboration through the Loyalty Partnership brings faster response and advanced service solutions closer to our local markets.”
Sulzer was appointed following its successful completion of an appraisal procedure that all prospective ABB partners must pass. This assessed competence, quality and the company’s ability to comply with ABB’s exacting standards.
“Although we considered several high quality candidates for this partnering role, our global alliance with Sulzer and its strong local relationship with the pump business made it an obvious choice,” says Wright.
“The agreement with Sulzer means our customers get more service options in collaboration with ABB without compromising on quality.”
Among the field services that could be offered through Sulzer are ABB’s Life Expectancy Analysis Program (LEAP) and MACHsense. LEAP offers a range of inspection services that optimise maintenance planning for electrical machines and predicts the remaining lifetime of the stator Insulation system. It helps extend machine lifetime and minimizes downtime.
MACHsense is a condition monitoring service for electric motors that provides a warning of impending defects. As an early warning system, it provides time to plan maintenance and reduces unplanned shutdowns.
- Report slams government for hindering water industry development The government has been criticised in a new report for not being "proactive" in the UK water industry. The... Read More >
- Reading Borough Council faces £750K reservoir repair bill Reading Borough Council (RBC) is facing a £750,000 bill to repair a retaining wall at Whiteknights Reservoir even though... Read More >
- MPs debate flood defence funding Managing flood risk has been the subject of an estimates day debate in the House of Commons. Yesterday's debate was based... Read More >
- Reliability engineering key to resilience As a result of the 2014 Water Act and Ofwat, water companies are increasingly studying how resilient they might be to... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... site security The current threat level for international terrorism in the UK is classed as ‘severe', and damage or destruction to... Read More >
- Tanks need a spot of TLC Proper maintenance of tanks is key to ensure their long and productive life, while refurbishment can give a new lease of... Read More >
- Fundamental Equations Alec Erskine explores how some key equations can assist with the business of asset management in water Read More >
- Yorkshire Water's decision-making uses ‘five capitals’ approach Yorkshire Water has developed a new decision-making framework for PR19 which quantifies natural and social factors Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.