'Exemplary standards' earn NWL its second Queen's Award
Northumbrian Water Ltd (NWL) has received its second Queen's Award for Enterprise "for upholding exemplary standards in supplying drinking water and treating wastewater". The company is one of eight businesses in the North-east to be given this accreditation, and the only one to receive it for sustainable development.
The southern arm of the utility, Essex & Suffolk Water, is one of only three in the South-east to achieve the award for sustainable development.
NWL first won the Queen’s Award for Enterprise, for sustainable development, in 2008 and the award is held for five years. This second award will continue for the next five years.
Heidi Mottram, NWL’s chief executive, said: “We are incredibly proud to receive this award for the second time and to have this royal endorsement continuously for a decade. Everyone in the company has played an important part in our success. This recognition reflects our determination to become the best water and wastewater company in the UK and our continued effort and commitment to protect and improve the environment, support local communities, contribute to the economy, be innovative and to the well being of our people.”
The award citation for NWL said: “Having developed a credible strategy to generate 20% of its energy from renewable sources by 2020, it has contributed much towards environmental improvement, developing innovative methods for generating electricity from sludge, utilising reed beds to treat waste and co-digesting many waste streams in anaerobic digester plants. Whilst increasing the capacity of an existing reservoir to secure water for 1.5 million people, it is boosting the wildfowl and bio-diversity habitat.
"It has demonstrated sector-leading outreach to communities, including donating 1% of pre-tax profit, establishing staff volunteer programmes, sponsoring improvement in a failing school, offering space to projects and developing a health centre within a deprived community.”
To mark its achievement, a Royal representative will visit NWL and present the company with its award. The company will also attend a celebratory reception at Buckingham Palace.
- NI Water completes Magilligan sewage works in £8M scheme Northern Ireland's Regional Development Minister Danny Kennedy has visited the new Magilligan Wastewater Treatment Works... Read More >
- Scottish Water starts £17M sewer scheme in Paisley Scottish Water is about to embark on a £17M project to upgrade the wastewater infrastructure in Paisley. The scheme will... Read More >
- Volkswagen vehicle to get power from algae biogas The first Volkswagen vehicle that will be powered by biogas has been presented to the All-gas project at the El Torno... Read More >
- The new approach to energy efficiency Many pump systems are far less energy efficient than they appear to be, and optimising electrical systems is the key Read More >
- Round Table: Pumps and energy Performance monitoring supported by technology and condition-based maintenance are two of the key factors in optimising... Read More >
- The Big Picture on Energy Costs Details matter when it comes to pump system energy assessments, which is why not all assessments are the same Read More >
- Interview: David Rose, Energy and Carbon Manager, South West Water "Certification has really helped staff engage with the energy agenda; I feel we've got a framework to work with." Read More >
- WWT's Water Industry Energy Conference to take place in June Water industry professionals tasked with managing and generating energy and building resilience and sustainability into... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.