COMMENT: Wow what a month it's been!
Wow what a month it's been! First came the surprise takeover of Enterprise plc by Amey's Spanish parent Ferrovial (WET News, March 2013). Now, May Gurney Integrated Services is the target for two rival contractors - Costain and Kier.
Costain and May Gurney want to merge, creating a £1.6B-turnover organisation. No doubt this will help when tendering for larger contracts.
And no sooner had this hit the headlines, Kier said its advances for May Gurney have been rebuffed, and that it is now considering its options. And if this wasn’t enough, Thames Water announced that five joint ventures form the shortlist for its AMP6 design and build programme.
The ventures are Costain, Veolia, Atkins; Tamesis Plus; MBVA; GMM; and Skanska, MWH, Balfour Beatty.
And it’s interesting to note the big name absentees from the shortlist, including Kier. Perhaps this goes to show that forming an alliance in some shape or form is the best way to move forward as AMP6 looms ever nearer.
As with those shortlisted for the Thames work, it shows that companies are stronger as an alliance than if they were going it alone.
- Striking out underground cable strikes Thousands of accidental cable strikes are recorded every year, and are among the biggest health and safety risks for... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with... site security The current threat level for international terrorism in the UK is classed as ‘severe', and damage or destruction to... Read More >
- SuDS coming to the surface In March, 14 surface water drainage experts, including representatives of Defra, the Environment Agency and Yorkshire... Read More >
- Interview: Stantec UK MD Cath Schefer After MWH merged into Stantec, the combined business is putting the focus squarely on collaboration and innovation to find... Read More >
- Top Tips for... System Totex With Ofwat's AMP6 reforms putting Totex at the centre of the investment planning process, applying this approach at inlet... Read More >
- Interview: Lawrence Gosden, MD, Wastewater, Thames Water This month we talk to Lawrence Gosden, MD for wastewater at Thames Water, about building flood resilience in London and... Read More >
- Industry View: Let's not drop the ball after PR19 There must be better alignment between PR19 strategic plans and actual delivery plans if water companies are to get full... Read More >
- Round Table: Water Industry Procurement in AMP6 and beyond Have procurement practices so far in AMP6 reflected the regulatory shift towards whole- life cost and Totex? Participants... Read More >