COMMENT: Wow what a month it's been!
Wow what a month it's been! First came the surprise takeover of Enterprise plc by Amey's Spanish parent Ferrovial (WET News, March 2013). Now, May Gurney Integrated Services is the target for two rival contractors - Costain and Kier.
Costain and May Gurney want to merge, creating a £1.6B-turnover organisation. No doubt this will help when tendering for larger contracts.
And no sooner had this hit the headlines, Kier said its advances for May Gurney have been rebuffed, and that it is now considering its options. And if this wasn’t enough, Thames Water announced that five joint ventures form the shortlist for its AMP6 design and build programme.
The ventures are Costain, Veolia, Atkins; Tamesis Plus; MBVA; GMM; and Skanska, MWH, Balfour Beatty.
And it’s interesting to note the big name absentees from the shortlist, including Kier. Perhaps this goes to show that forming an alliance in some shape or form is the best way to move forward as AMP6 looms ever nearer.
As with those shortlisted for the Thames work, it shows that companies are stronger as an alliance than if they were going it alone.
- COMMENT: AMP6 is on everyone's radar 2012 finished on a high with a lot of companies working to full capacity as a result of strong demand for construction... Read More >
- On the trail of the sewage snail Sewage Snails are becoming a major nuisance in the Wastewater Treatment process creating serious operational problems... Read More >
- Offsite build for Affinity pumping station Taking a pioneering new approach to a borehole pumping station upgrade in Essex, Affinity Water minimised asset downtime... Read More >
- Comment: Capital Maintenance comes to the fore The tight cost of capital set by Ofwat for PR19 will mean water companies will need to place the emphasis on maintenance... Read More >
- Interview: Yorkshire Water procurement head Andy Clark Yorkshire Water's Andy Clark tells Robin Hackett why the company is making major changes to its procurement strategy Read More >
- Interview: Stantec UK MD Cath Schefer After MWH merged into Stantec, the combined business is putting the focus squarely on collaboration and innovation to find... Read More >
- Top Tips for... System Totex With Ofwat's AMP6 reforms putting Totex at the centre of the investment planning process, applying this approach at inlet... Read More >
- Interview: Lawrence Gosden, MD, Wastewater, Thames Water This month we talk to Lawrence Gosden, MD for wastewater at Thames Water, about building flood resilience in London and... Read More >