COMMENT: Have contractors sacrificed profit?
Contractors have "deliberately sacrificed" profit having done well to anticipate the downturn and take out cost in the early years of recession. This is the view of KPMG, whose latest report suggests companies will have to undertake far more extensive cost- cutting to offset an acute reduction in work (see front page and page 6).
The KPMG report states that where companies have reacted through reorganisation, these exercises have been credited with steadying operating margins. Getting the right client mix for the business has also helped.
"How much more cost can contractors and suppliers eliminate from the supply chain and survive?"
Added to this we know that the water companies are all pushing for lower costs, to meet what Thames Water calls the "huge affordability challenge".
But how much more cost can contractors and suppliers eliminate from the water industry’s supply chain – and survive?
On another subject, it’s great to see Anglian Water once again throwing down the gauntlet to its contractors and suppliers, this time to come up with innovative ideas on helping it meet the challenges of managing its sewer network.
This is a great opportunity for Anglian Water, its contractors and suppliers to show the rest of the industry that collaboration to find solutions to challenges can work.
- Comment: Seeing the big picture on drought Water companies need to look beyond their historical records if they want to understand the full picture on drought... Read More >
- Opinion: Collaborating will be crucial after PR19 A collaborative approach to innovation must sit at the heart of PR19 strategies, writes Tim Edwards Read More >
- Contractors complain about AMP project delays The latest AMP cycle has got off to a slow start, with some contractors blaming the regulator's call for greater customer... Read More >
- Trant Engineering: Forward thinking Now positioned as a multi-discipline, innovation-focused contractor, Trant Engineering is aiming high - and says its... Read More >
- Service reservoir project refreshes supply in Burton-on-Trent Stonbury's project to construct a new service reservoir for South Staffs Water achieved the best whole-life asset solution... Read More >
- Factory Thinking: Is it time for offsite build in the water industry? Offsite manufacture of water assets in a factory environment is widely seen as a step to greater efficiency, especially if... Read More >
- Offsite build for Affinity pumping station Taking a pioneering new approach to a borehole pumping station upgrade in Essex, Affinity Water minimised asset downtime... Read More >
- Interview: Stantec UK MD Cath Schefer After MWH merged into Stantec, the combined business is putting the focus squarely on collaboration and innovation to find... Read More >